Search the forum,

Discuss New Apprentice looking at buying first tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vorka

So I just recently got my apprenticeship and am working with the guys im working withs tools at the minute but I wanna get my own set so we can both do jobs at the same time and get done quicker etc.

I was wondering which are better grips wise out of the knipex and rothenberg brands, I was looking at getting some knipex but looked around online and some people were 50/50 on the 2. One of the lads at work also said stay away from the knipex cobra because of the button to adjust them, he said its another thing to go wrong on them compared to the standard grips. Which are better?

Most people if not all that ive spoke to at work have said that rothenberg pipe slices are best to buy, so think im gonna go with them.

Gonna try pick up a second hand scizzor bender too, only thing im gonna get second hand though I think providing it has the guides, does this seem a solid plan?

A few people have suggested getting a pair of bahco adjustables too as they are solid for the price, dunno about bahco products though other than college advertising them lol.

As for gas lamps, drills etc these are provided by work, dont think ive missed anything out, for screwdrivers i got a set of stanleys, got a set of stanley chisels, got a few spirit levels, dont think ive missed much off.

Any advice would be helpful, dont wanna go buy grips etc if they are a waste of money,

Cheers!

The bloke who said knipex cobras push button is just another thing to go wrong is talking rubbish. The cobras are brilliant and grip so well, the design of the push button adjustment is bullet proof as its so simple. Stay away from rothy grips IMO. Get the cobras of if you cant justify it then get the blue channel lock grips. A 10" and 12" set would be a good start.

The bloke who said knipex cobras push button is just another thing to go wrong is talking rubbish. The cobras are brilliant and grip so well, the design of the push button adjustment is bullet proof as its so simple. Stay away from rothy grips IMO. Get the cobras of if you cant justify it then get the blue channel lock grips. A 10" and 12" set would be a good start.

Nice one cheers for quick reply!
Theres a shop not too far that was selling the cobras today for £22 each. Might have to have a look what sizes they were.

bahco adjustables are the dogs danglies, also knipex alligators are good.

Big fan of the cobras have a few in various sizes had my oldest ones about 5 years now and it has doubled as a hammer more then once and the push button still works fine.

Channel locks are fine until you get something that puts up a fight like a pump valve after the second time of them slipping and crushing my littlest digit in the handle they went in the scrap bin what a waste of money

Love cobras but have crescent grips which are 15 years old? Footprints are good - go to a car boot and but an old rusty set. Clean them up with wool and oil. Old spanner lots better than new ones. Bacho good. Rothy slices not my favourite but I use monument. Benders, buy a "bend it now" set from eBay - they are the mutts or get a rothenburger set from plumbcenter - get the center brand ones as they are rebadged rothy ones for 1/2 price

In my box of plumbing tools (do all aspects of work) off the t ive got Rothenberg 22/15mm slice +spare cutting wheels for when they need swapping, cheap £3 mini adjustable pipe slice for 10mm pipe, pipe debburer usefully for wastes as well as copper, Rothenberg grips small pair and Irwin 12" grips, JG spf cutter, Rothenberg rad spanner,bahco spanners wide jaw, Stanley knife, Rothenberg monoblock spanners, backnut box spanner, basin renches crows foot and the C jaw type, hacksaw/junior hacksaw +spare blades, allen key set, blow lamp superfire2, floorboard bar and hammer, screwdrivers-wera 6 piece + 3 wera 300mm long reach + stubby , plus loads more I've probley forgot

for pipe bender id avoid second hand and get a deccent new one, and for levels ive got some jcb magnetic v grove that are my cheap set and a good set of stabilas for clean work, (fitting baths rads.. don't want to scratch new bath) hope this helps

Last edited:
i think the rothenberger pump pliers are ok, never had any chew with mine - got 3 sizes. hacksaws, screwdrivers, chisels, levels, bahco are spot on for spanners, maybe a set of wratchet spanners, handy for awkward placed nuts on boilers, pipe cutters as well as slicers and mini cutters for microbore. If you do alot of microbore then maybe a set of the mini benders. The monument pipe benders arent that expensive.rad keys, set of allen keys and torx keys. hammer, mash hammer cold chisels and a set of rad valve change bungs

Certain things spend good money on and they will last you for years to come but others dont go mad on as sometimes its not just worth it.

In my install kit is
Bahco wide jaws x2
10" Bahco grips
12" Crescent grips (my last ones lasted 10 years)
15/22/28 and 1 1/4" / 1 1/2" pipeslice (a mixture of rothenburger and hold on)
a dirt cheap mini pipecutter
Wera screwdrivers (I find they last longer than the likes of stanley)
Plastic pipe cutter (Looks like speedfit one but cheaper from screwfix)
A tap spanner and rad valve spanner that Ive had for years they no longer have any markings on them
A half decent hammer (I used to just buy cheap ones but they dont last long)
A massive tape measure as a lost loads in the past (I think its a stanley but all markings are gone on it)
Then cheap Junior hacksaw, Wood chisels, File/rasp, Stanley knife, allen keys, Wire cutters, cold chisel and about 10 pencils (they dont last long before I lose them)

Then in another tool box I have all the other bits you dont need on every job like board lifters, lump hammer, spare old pipeslices, trowels/floats for patching up, mono block spanners and loads of other bits and bobs,

Cheers to everyone whos replied, ive taken on board whats been said. Didnt have chance to reply any earlier than this but appreciate all the quick replies! Looks like I better get saving!

As posted above by Ermintrude, go to car boot sales, I did this many years back when I started plumbing, I still have the footprints and adjustable spanners I bought very cheap, we didn't have EBay and Screwfix for tools back then.

It also worth looking at EBay, Amazon, Screwfix and Toolstation to compare prices.

I have Crescent and Channel Lock USA grips, I have some very small Rothenberger grips which are handy.
i have some footprints, and Bacho adjustable spanners.

Keep an eye out down at the merchants, they often do fairly good deals with regards to tools.

I thought I was the only person who had channel lock grips in my tool bag
very old skool
can't get on with side winders and footprint

but monument make the best tap tap spanner
box spanners for waste nuts and another for tap back nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Apprentice looking at buying first tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock