Search the forum,

Discuss Mystery pipe at the back of the toilet trap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Mystery pipe at the back of the toilet trap

Hi, we have moved into a house with a nice but old toilet, double trap I think, maybe syphonic? It fills up to the top before draining. I was going down the route of it having the wrong syphon fitted but noticed this pipe that has had a stopper put on it. Is this maybe supposed to be connected to something to help with the syphon action? Any suggestions appreciated. I know it would be easier to get a new one but I am keen to get this one working if I can as it has novelty value I think. Thanks.

20220719_092036.jpg20220719_092010.jpg20220719_092923.jpg20220719_092039.jpg20220719_092047.jpg

Trap primer

When the toilet is flushed most of the water is used / flushed away that pipe did let letā€™s say 1l back into the bowl to keep the trap correct

Trap primer

When the toilet is flushed most of the water is used / flushed away that pipe did let letā€™s say 1l back into the bowl to keep the trap correct
Thanks, so this has nothing to do with the bowl draining filling before draining then? It doesn't look like the down pipe with the trap primer pipe are common. I'll have to see if I can make one some how. Thanks.

? Whatā€™s the problem

was it at one time conected to the original header tank as a overflow so that it flowed into the loo,?
the old header could have been the old lead lined one. ( just a thought)

Oh sorry, the bowl fills to the rim prior to draining. I've had drain camera checked and plunged it to death from the bowl.
It is a siphonic WC and good to see one still in operation in my opinion. The water rising is likely not due to a blockage.

That capped pipe probably connected into the flush pipe higher up to give an injection of water/removal of air to the top of the second trap in order to start the siphon from the bowl. Looking at it, someone has used a piece of plastic flush pipe to make some repair in the past and did not understand the design and therefore did not see the point in re-connecting the 1/2" pipe.

You won't be able to purchase such a thing anymore unfortunately but as you say, you could probably fashion something.

It would look good made from copper?

Siphonc WC's don't rely on the wash down method. They siphon the bowl content and do work well. They were banned a while ago due to the volume of water used. They use around 2 - 2 1/2 gallon generally. Now we just have toilets that use 6 litre but we flush them 2-3 times. šŸ˜

Reply to Mystery pipe at the back of the toilet trap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock