Search the forum,

Discuss Moving to another state as a plumber? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi plumbers. I just have a few questions about moving to another state as a plumber and pursuing journeyman’s licenses. Here’s some background on me first, then the Q’s. I’m 23 years old, currently living in Florida with my parents and really want to move to New Hampshire... really want to move to New Hampshire, like I want to be there yesterday. I’m only just getting started in plumbing and NEVER want to own my own business. I was going to college for, it doesn’t matter but it wasn’t for me so I dropped out to do plumbing and I’m not going back. I also need to get it out there that I passionately HATE Florida and I want to get outta here as soon as possible and never return. I just got a job at an open shop as a helper. It’s not an actual apprenticeship program. So, since I have next to no experience in plumbing and have no money to move right now, should I stay with this company for about 4 to 5 years, gain experience, save a pile of money in the meantime, move up to NH and then pursue my NH journeyman’s license? Or, should I pursue my FL journeyman’s license now and then move up to NH after I get my FL journeyman’s license? Or does anyone have a different plan that could work? Here are a few more questions I have as someone who is very new at plumbing. I know some questions are redundant, I’m just being thorough. Thank you I’m advance for your advice.

1. Will you make more money if you have a journeyman’s license?

2. Bare in mind I want to move to New Hampshire as soon as possible. Should I pursue getting my license now, in Florida or wait ‘til after I move up north?

3. Is it easier to move with or without a license?

4. Can the Florida union keep me stuck here after I get my license?

5. Does it make any sense to just work for 5 years, get the experience, move up north and then pursue my license?

6. If I got my license here and then moved up north, do you know the process of transferring a license to another state?

We are uk based so no idea but if i were you chase your dream dont hang around you have wasted to much time already, do whatever you need to do to get yourself to New Hampshire take whatever job you can get when you get there, then start planning your career our lives are what we make them and theres nothing you cannot do if you want it bad enough.
Regards kop.

looked online and there is even more red tape in the US than here with regards to trades. so i think you would be best to do as advised and move there and try to get certified sooner rather than later

Reply to Moving to another state as a plumber? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock