Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Mixer Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BD10NER

Hi all

Nephew has decided he wants to have a mixer shower now instead of electric, the one he has seen is thermostatic
and combi system compatible , my question is would there be sufficiant water pressure for shower from pipework
in the comi system on shower info it says minimum 0.1 bar - max 0.5 bar, how do i test pressure of water or is
this somethingf for a pro ?

need 2 pipes, 1 hot, 1 cold, chances are you only have cold, so would need to run a new hot pipe, means taking tiles off, i.e. Big job really, unless you have access to behind wall. plus depends on water pressure and type of shower. You need a weir cup to test pressure, put under running water and will tell you the pressure.

0.5 bar maximum seems a very low maximum for a thermostatic mixer shower that's compatable with a combi boiler. Are you sure this is a max? U can get other shower valves to suit. A pressure test gauge kit can be got cheaply. Mains cold water to most homes is in excess of 2 bar!

sorry forgot the accent as i said it,

ooooh that wil be expensive, ough, gonna take a few days, ooooh Id get a pro in don't want that there water going everywhere, ooooh wont be cheap.

but in all seriousness would get a pro in for this as could be quite hard and new pipes needed, not really a diy job, most likely The pressure will be fine as its combi boiler, wouldn't worry too much about this, would be more worried about damage to tiling/walls i.e. and costs involved.

soz fellas forgot to mention the entire bathroom is gutted and being re done, the cold water pipe is already in place for what was going to be a leccy shower, but i can put a T in the hot water supply from sink ?, as for the specs i'm just going bye his say so, but i think he meant 5 bar.
would the pipe be better coming down from attic, or in from the side like i was going to do ?. I think this is the shower he has seen at wicks
Cascada Thermostatic Mixer Shower - Showers - Showers -Bathrooms - Wickes

I meant to mention his boiler is a---FER FALCON 2, not sure if diff boilers give diff rates of pressure

least amount of rise, the better, prevents air locks and costs less. keep at low level until just before shower then rise tlo shower.
just try to hide ugly pipework.

Thanks jase, i'm burying the pipe behind plasterboard up through studs approx 5ft then across wall to where shower will be

need 2 pipes, 1 hot, 1 cold, chances are you only have cold, so would need to run a new hot pipe, means taking tiles off, i.e. Big job really, unless you have access to behind wall. plus depends on water pressure and type of shower. You need a weir cup to test pressure, put under running water and will tell you the pressure.

Doesn't a weir cup test flow and a pressure gauge test pressure?

Hi all

Tested pressure today and guage read 3 bar, so would it be ok for a mixer shower or would a leccy be better ?

Whatever you prefer.

I think your original post is that you have a combi, downside with a combi is this, if your boiler produces XX litres of ho****er per minute that is what your shower will have that is unless you turn on the kitchen tap your shower will then have less hot water. If your running 2 showers at the same time or a bath and a shower again you then have less hot water for the shower.

im sure it will be fine, if youve got a direct cold system which i presume you have you will get 3bar from that and the hot the only thing you must consider is the boiler flow rate but its normally fine for a shower.

run an extra hot into the shower and it will be fine

if your not sure open a hot and cold tap at the same time, that will be your flow rate

wier cup = flow rate

pressure gauge = pressure

would that also apply if the mixer shower was a thermostatic one ?

As fuzzy says it should be fine,

but yes even with a thermostatic shower. All a thermost does is regulate the temperature of water coming out of the shower head.

Thanks again guys, next task see what flow rate is, any clues on what is sufficiant ?

if you can test preasure with a weir cup your wasted on the plumbing industry

note to self read whole thread before replying

Last edited:
least amount of rise, the better, prevents air locks and costs less. keep at low level until just before shower then rise tlo shower.
just try to hide ugly pipework.
i dont often question the wisdom of other contributers but i feel i must say jase im not sure if you really dont know what your doing or you deliberatly post bad infomation how many airlocks have you ever had on a mains fed shower

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont often question the wisdom of other contributers but i feel i must say jase im not sure if you really dont know what your doing or you deliberatly post bad infomation how many airlocks have you ever had on a mains fed shower

Went to a property before, that was badly installed, with large shower head, installed by customer. water wouldn't get to shower unless you turned cold on, which would start the hot.

All depends, if you do not use pump then possibility of air locks, then only if shower pump is not installed correctly will you get air locks.

Can I just ask Stevetheplumber, where is your contribution, don't just pick other peoples mistakes.

I do say on many posts, that other people may know more then me on certain issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mixer Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock