Search the forum,

Discuss Megaflo Pressure Reducing Valve Clunking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a loud clunking noise coming from the PRV when the cold water is shut off. It has been doing it for at least a year now but its getting annoying and I have noticed in the night (when the water pressure rises) I am getting random clunks from this valve after about 11pm at night. I am thinking that either the whole valve needs replacing or just the cartridge but maybe the clunking noise is normal?

I have successfully recharged the air gap on the system to see if that made in difference and it needed doing anyway, but it is still the same. Is it normal for these valves to be noisy when shutting off the water as I haven't been in the house that long to know if its normal or not?

I have successfully recharged the air gap on the system to see if that made in difference and it needed doing anyway, but it is still the same.
If the air gap isn't correctly charged, which to judge from your previous post seems pretty likely, you will get banging noises from the system due to a lack of shock suppression.

If it is the PRV (associated with the Megaflo) it is not something you can fix yourself. You need a plumber properly trained and certificated to work on unvented systems 'G3-qualified' to diagnose / repair the problem.

Unvented systems are dangerous if not properly maintained.

Last edited:
Hello again. Are you saying the pressure reducing valve clunks when you close a HW tap?
Hello again ! So I just tried the hot water and it doesn’t clunk when I shut the hot water off but if I shut the cold water off it is a loud clunk.

The cold taps upstairs are fed downstream of the PRV and it also does it on the downstairs cold taps which are upstream of the PRV (fed from mains direct).

If the air gap isn't correctly charged, which to judge from your previous post seems pretty unlikely, you will get banging noises from the system due to a lack of shock suppression.

If it is the PRV it is not something you can fix yourself. You need a plumber properly trained and certificated to work on unvented systems 'G3-qualified' to diagnose / repair the problem.

Unvented systems are dangerous if not properly maintained.
Yes thanks I am aware I need a G3 but at this present time I’m trying to do some brief fault finding myself before getting someone competent in.

Reply to Megaflo Pressure Reducing Valve Clunking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock