Search the forum,

Discuss Main Boiler circuit fuse blowing. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

This morning woke up to no central heating, but the hot water had been on earlier in the morning.
I checked the programmer and it was indicating CH was on.
Went to the room thermostat and it didnt click when rotated, but then started clicking without any input.
I had a spare room thermostat, so replaced it. However when I rotated the new stat to call for heat the main boiler/CH/HW switch fuse blew.
I checked the new thermostat with a continuity check and the live and neutral continuity made and broke when the stat was rotated, so that seems to work normally.
Now I'm at a lose and would appreciate advice on what to check next. My CH/HW is a vented Y plan.

Just to confirm, live and neutral are obvious and I've wired the call to number 4.

Attachments

• 20230214_094555.jpg
    20230214_094555.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 31
Thinking the spare I had was faulty as it's been sat in my garage for about 15 years.
Just bought a Honeywell T6360. The original stat had 3 wires red, blue and yellow with the wiring labelled L, N and call.
I traced these wires to the junction box and the red is live, the blue goes to the CH pump and the yellow to the 3 port valve, so which terminals do the blue and yellow go to on the Honeywell?

Attachments

• 20230214_131627.jpg
    20230214_131627.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
that doesn’t make sense you sure it’s the same blue wire from the stat ?

I went into the HW/CH junction box, only 1 cable with the same yellow wire was present but too far apart to con check. I traced the wires out to locations as stated. I've returned the Honeywell and am getting what is hopefully a direct replacement Drayton 3 wire stat to fit. I presume when the stat makes it turns the pump on and selects the 3 port valve to the CH setting using their neutrals as returns.

Yes logically

Red / brown live
Blue neutral
Yellow switch
Yellow and green earth
that’s how it should of been wired

Just fitted a replacement Drayton RST1, same as the one that was fitted and all working normally now.
Wish I'd taken that option first thing, would have saved a **** load of hassle.
Thanks for your inputs.
The one thing I've learnt today is that all room stats are not equal.

Picture of backplate please

Thinking the spare I had was faulty as it's been sat in my garage for about 15 years.
Just bought a Honeywell T6360. The original stat had 3 wires red, blue and yellow with the wiring labelled L, N and call.
I traced these wires to the junction box and the red is live, the blue goes to the CH pump and the yellow to the 3 port valve, so which terminals do the blue and yellow go to on the Honeywell?
Academic now but I installed one of these as a swap for a RTS1 for someone a while ago and connected Live to 1, Call (yellow) to 3 and N to 2 as far as I remember.

Reply to Main Boiler circuit fuse blowing. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock