Currently reading:
Looking for Large Domestic Heating System Designer / Specifier

Discuss Looking for Large Domestic Heating System Designer / Specifier in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently moved into a large domestic property in North East Scotland. It is a listed building over 100 years old with traditional single glazed sash windows, etc., so it is never going to be energy efficient, but it desperately needs a new heating system and I want to make it as cost effective to run as possible - especially since this is going to be our house for the long term.

The house currently has a 70kW natural gas boiler which is over 35 years old and which gets through a frightening amount of gas. We are going to end up with a lot of bed rooms, a home office, living rooms and a granny flat, so I have different heat requirements in different areas at different times of the day. I want to get a natural gas fired condensing boiler system (one large or two connected boilers) and, since the whole heating pipework, etc. needs to be replaced as well, I want to get a heating management system installed as well, so I can control different rooms to be at different temperatures at different times of the day. I am happy to have a fully functional interface to set the temperature and times of each room, however, my wife / in laws will want a simple warmer / colder adjustment and not to have to dig into the detail.

I have spoken to a number of different installers, each with different ideas about the best configuration of system to fit, and I have spoken to a couple of heating management suppliers who claim their systems are easy to install, but who don't install their own systems. None of the installers I have spoken to so far have ever worked with heating management systems.

On top of all of the above, there are options relating to Micro-CHP, Solar Water Heating, etc. which might come into this too.

Is there anyone who covers North East Scotland and can design / specify / install a complete system and who will ensure that it all works together properly / efficiently?

I don't want to end up with a collection of bits, none of which work together very well.

Thanks

Well sorry to hear you had bad experience with uponor used a couple of times been great but never been to a big company where someone has never had a problem

Last edited by a moderator:
i sure that uponor controls are all interlinked back to the boiler and for that size of house i would install a magna grundfos pump with a auto adapt option so it will pump only what the heating system requires no need for bypass etc.
as we all know if one radiator needs heat the boiler may fire, but how else will it heat???
the cilent whats a system that he can heat different rooms at different times and at different tempertures an uponor have the answer and i have used uponor a load of times on domestic and commerical and have to say there service and expertise as been second to none.

another great bit of kit is a boiler sequencer this takes care of have two boiler doing the same job and will save you money on fuel
http://www.warmworld.co.uk/026.html

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a company here in ireland which may be the kind of thing you are looking for.....have known someone that used them and apparently are very helpful.... systemlinkhome

hello and welcome

i dont think its a complicated job. i would fit 2 modern boilers and upgrade all pipework into zones. you can have an input into which zones you want and design a control system to suit

i appreciate that heat loss is always going to be an issue, but I have already insulated the loft, we are getting the Ventrolla draught exclusion system fitted to the sash windows to minimise draughts and we will be doing everything else we can to reduce heat loss within the limits of what we are allowed to do with a listed building. Accepting that it will never be perfect, I want to add the intelligent controls to the system to allow me to reduce individual room temperatures during times when I know they will not be in use (e.g. Bedrooms can be cooler during weekdays when children are at school, living rooms can be cooler at night when people will be asleep, etc.)

programmable room stats controlling zones would be a good option, simply controling a 2 port motorised valve. prog room stats are cheap and easy, just decide your temp settngs, no on and off as such just different temps at different times

still think the manifold system is the best and well most cost efficent option. as you say it is never going to be prefect as it is a listed building so why spend silly money on a lot of management controls to tell you that you are losing heat.
at least with manifolds you will be able to control each room and then you can zone the house into areas of usage.

Mark-mc, thank you for your advice. I have been away from the PC for New Year, but really appreciate all the feedback everyone has given. Someone suggested contacting Hutcheon Services in Aberdeen, so my intention is to speak to them when they are back at work and see what they recommend. I'll come back to you all once I've got their suggestions and you can comment on what they suggest. Thanks to all.

your very welcome for the advice, please do come back with there suggestions. a big company like that will charge you an arm an a leg but all advice is free.

UFH would be the cheapest and best way to heat an area like this, you wouldn't need to dig the floor up but either use a floating floor system or install battens with insulation and pipework into aluminium spreader plates then 18mm board over and the floor covering of your choice, this should easily reach a lovely living temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for Large Domestic Heating System Designer / Specifier in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock