Search the forum,

Discuss Load compensation in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Knappers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I know this 'which boiler' thing has been done to death but with more manufacturers offering higher modulation rates I'd really like to get my head around it.
When it comes to reccomending the best im looking for high modulation and good load/ weather compensation options.
Whos leading the way when it comes to intelligent controls and at what point (if any) does 3-4kw min output become pointless?
What boiler and control packages can I expect to maintain the most constant temperatures, where I'm likely to find the boiler happily chugging along with a 30deg flow temp?
Which controls are going to automatically adjust their heating curves and which allow manual adjustment?
Which will use weather or room compensation and which use both?
I'm really fed up with looks, price, percieved reliability and fancy but mostly pointless wireless controls.
I can sell myself to my customers and think its my job to look at my boilers from a more technical perspective, the manufacturers don't make that particularly easy (atleast not to any depth).
I'm currently a worcester guy after getting frustrated with vaillants rubber hoses, pressure sensors and old fashioned controls, I'd consider viessmann but haven't seen enough to change over.
What are your thoughts?

Good post
I did try pushing better controls for a while but have given up for now and fit EPH combi pack 4 or nest/hive for smart stats.
Wiring outside sensors, setting curves trying to explain it all to the end user who doesn’t really care.
Most people want to turn on the heating and have a hot radiator within a few minutes and will complain it’s not working if this doesn’t happen.

If I was a customer I would like a boiler with a minimum output of 1.5/2kw and one that doesn't trip on a 30 deg detlaT between flow/return temps which may mean a SS Hx.

Modulation ratio is the answer, years ago, I think it was a Vokera Mynute? had a 10:1 when most of the others were offering ~ 5 or 6:1. Someone posted on here quoting some manufacturer that is offering something like 1.9kw min output with a 36kw rated output.

It's the 200-W that has a mod ratio of 17:1, trouble is not everybody wants to spend 2K otherwise that is all I would fit.

Try explaining weather comp to an elderly couple who doesn't think the heating is on because the radiators aren't hot. I have on the odd occasion bought some high viz thermostats to place in some essential rooms and just say look at those, if its 23 deg (elderly) its ok. I notice Viessmann have adopted Tado as their third party controller of choice, I like it but it can add up cost wise.

Its good to have the options tho, I'm trying not to fall into the trap of chasing points with the manufacturers. Worcesters new 8000 has a good modulation and some decent sub menu adaptability on the 'easy control'
Can't deny the viessmann is more advanced but the cost is a little off-putting.
I like the idea of the 111-w too but never fitted one
Are there any others with a 10:1 or better modulation and some decent controls?
Is viessmann using open therm protocols then, does anyone know about the functionality on the tado or if nest have ever actually started to use the function properly.
(I wasn't impressed with the changes to the nest interface last time I fitted one)

I know customers aren't bothered or don't understand but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop making reccomendations.
Currently offer worcester as premium option and baxi as second but could do viessmann as premium, worcester as middle and baxi as 'budget'?
(Imo Ideal doesn't make the cut - its a job for someone else)

the cost of the 200 is a bit off putting but having had one in my last house found the cost worthwhile, I don't think it is much more than the high end boilers but the controls tend to be. plus isn't the new 200 wifi already in the boiler.

Yes 200-w has built in WiFi for use with the ViCare app but the rest of the range don't.

@Knappers

Tado utilise Open Therm on the Viessmann range without a problem. Obviously it is a modulated command limited by what the boiler max is set at however you can also request Tado set the max flow temp but this is a one time deal and obviously not ideal if you want to change it, Viessmann recommend 75deg.

So is viessmann and WB it?
What happens when we move to system boilers?
At home I fitted a vaillant boiler and cylinder combo and was quite impressed with the interconnectivity with VRC 430 controller.
Has anyone in history ever fitted worcesters integral diverter (I've never seen one).
What happens with all the load compensation when HW is on, are we supposed to plumb s-plan with HW priority?
Infact I'm a bit disturbed by how little I know about the protocols on system boilers☺

Reply to Load compensation in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock