Search the forum,

Discuss Late night phone calls from clients in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Do you guys answer the phone after a certain time at night or ignore them until morning and call back? I don't offer a 24 hr service and find that general enquiries should be made during a reasonable time, I think its time to invest in another mobile phone for business only and turn it off after a certain time!

I have a specific work mobile, no way could I use my personal number. I don't have a problem with calls out of hours, I am trying to build a business and happy to answer the phone if I am just sat indoors. Obviously if I am down the pub or out for a meal etc then the phone gets turned off or ignored.

Agree that some people are unreasonable with the time they call but don`t change the business number now. Most phones now have different ring tones so go in to settings and set for family, friends or work.

Also If I turn my phone face down it stops ringing - very useful when in pub or with people.

Last edited:
upto 9 i answer all my calls unless like above your out/busy

and got 3 phones

one work
one personal
and one out of hours that only my best clients have :D

Some phones will take 2 sim cards if you don`t want to carry 2 phones.

I offer 24/7 call out but never answer out of hours calls on the first ring, if its an emergency they'll call back straight away or send me a text of what they want, I also tell all of my customers that if they send me a text it's better as I can't always answer the phone

I have a specific work mobile, no way could I use my personal number. I don't have a problem with calls out of hours, I am trying to build a business and happy to answer the phone if I am just sat indoors. Obviously if I am down the pub or out for a meal etc then the phone gets turned off or ignored.

Agree but it always seems to be when I'm out the pub they phone haha

I answer up until around 9. I always tell my customers to leave me a message and I'll call back.

I hate it if my mobile rings when I am in the middle of soldering a fitting or up a ladder and find it to be somebody just wanting to chat about a dripping tap or other unimportant stuff.
I fancy getting a second phone as I assume can't get dual sim iPhone.
I had a text to my mobile at literally a couple of minutes before 2 in the morning.
Woke me up actually.
It was a single woman I had once done work for.
She texted to say my number was on her phone and she didn't know who I am.
I texted back, - " That's good!" :smile:
It was a bad mistake because she then started ringing my phone and bombarding me with texts.

Someone recently phoned my mobile at 11.55 pm on a Friday night, it was charging by the bed, they didn't leave a message but the number came up..........dogs needed letting out at 3.40 am so I gave it a ring, 9.45 following morning they phoned apologising "the phone had been stolen & u might have had a call from it" .....same number....

If you've got an iPhone , just use the do not disturb setting which allows you to set the time when the phone won't ring except for people you put on your favourites list.

Yer yer yer , that old chestnut

Lol! Yea, I think she goes a bit strange when she is single and maybe was desperately looking up old contacts. I think she takes drugs a little, so explains the late night call.
She is a good looking woman, but I keep my distance. :smile:

and got 3 phones

one work
one personal
and one that my missus doesn't know about!!

Is this more like it Shaun haha

and got 3 phones

one work
one personal

Is this more like it Shaun haha

its knida of strange when people see ( bet most think drug dealer instantly :D )

and got 3 phones

one work
one personal

Hope your missus isn`t the one on another forum asking for advice cos she found another phone that she didn`t know about cos the girls are saying divorce him ! lol

If i miss a late call say 10 o clock i phone them back about 3 a.m

You deliberately stay up until 3am just to call them back?

I don't really understand this. Either answer the phone or don't, personal decision. Return the call in the morning or not at all, why try and annoy an existing customer or a potential new one?
All of us who decide to work for ourselves or set up a business etc need to come to terms with the fact that customer relations is quite important. Also that probably now involves doing work after 5pm.

I don't really understand this. Either answer the phone or don't, personal decision. Return the call in the morning or not at all, why try and annoy an existing customer or a potential new one?
All of us who decide to work for ourselves or set up a business etc need to come to terms with the fact that customer relations is quite important. Also that probably now involves doing work after 5pm.

think its more out of spite,

I just don't understand it personally.

no same lifes too short

its like tit for tat

i think your phoning me at an improper hour im going to phone you an in improper hour

no same lifes too short

its like tit for tat

i think your phoning me at an improper hour im going to phone you an in improper hour

When my phone rings, I am just happy that a customer probably wants me to do more work or a new customer has responded to my advertising or a recommendation. I only see it as a positive.

To be fair, we probably shouldn't take it personally. I find it hugely annoying, but I know it's not productive. There will always be thick thoughtless tw@ts out there.

Got a call to my mobile today. :(
Customers son has nailed floorboards down in his own home and went through apparently 15 & 22mm heating pipes in several places and caused flooding. They managed to drain down the heating system.
Got to go tomorrow and they think it is a few hours work.
Ruined my day and now forced to change plans to fix it for him.

Last edited:
Simple, Land line is on answer, Mobile after 6pm is on silent , just have a look now and then to see if anyone has called.

Sarcasm

If I'm not doing anything I will happily answer. If I am doing something then I let it go to answerphone. I will not answer after 9pm. My way of looking at it is I would rather people phone after 5 as I have the time to talk, people phoning whilst I'm working usually get the same answer off me and that's I will phone them when I get home as it looks bad whilst your in someone's house on the phone for 10 minutes answering a customers strange questions whilst there paying £30 per hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Late night phone calls from clients in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock