Discuss Landlord check situation today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i entered a property last week that i check yearly for the landlord.. issue 1 was a 1.5 mb gas leak with no smell of gas (last year there was no leak)
now last year there was no cooker installed, this year an old cooker had been fitted and even though it was the tenants appliance whilst checking the pipework i noticed some idiot has fitted the back plate elbow and bayonet backwards!
When i say backwards i do mean bayonet facing the wall with back plate behind it with long screws to take up the gap.
so on the cp12 i noted that as the gas leak has appeared this year and the cooker was incorrectly fitted this year in my opinion the cooker installation needs to be addressed first as it may solve the cause of the gas leak.
Well i had an angry tenant on the phone today wanting to know why i haven't fixed there leak and why i was presuming it was the cooker they had installed and not anything else..
probably because you have no paperwork from the installer and it's a bodge job love!! grrr some people!

Well,the tenant can not scream at you,she should scream at the landlord who then screams at you if he wishes ,as he in contracting you

But you should not put your opinion on the report or say something may solve the cause of a gas leak,we are dealing with regulations and facts hear,not hear say,what happens if they get someone in to act on your hear say and it solves nothing,they can come back to you for costs

You report installation ncs,at,id ect ,give reason why and issue paperwork as required,that is it

Hard but do not leave yourself open.jobs hard enough as it is

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with puddle deano :) The landlord has asked you to carry out a safety check. If the cooker belongs to the tenant then you note it on the safety check as tenants own and as you've observed the cooker installation issues then mark them down also. There is no need to record the pressure drop on the paperwork as it is within permissible, no smell reported. All that'll do is give grief IMO! You can not prove that the dodgy cooker install is the cause of the gas escape without further investigation in my opinion and why bother? 1.5mbar is small :) You could potentially loose a valued customer too?

If i was you i would round and AR the cooker and charge them for correcting the shoddy work and explain that gas leaks can blow up entire rows of houses if left undetected, just cover youself and explain the risks.

Well,the tenant can not scream at you,she should scream at the landlord who then screams at you if he wishes ,as he in contracting you

But you should not put your opinion on the report or say something may solve the cause of a gas leak,we are dealing with regulations and facts hear,not hear say,what happens if they get someone in to act on your hear say and it solves nothing,they can come back to you for costs

You report installation ncs,at,id ect ,give reason why and issue paperwork as required,that is it

Hard but do not leaver yourself open.jobs ard enough as it is

imho
should have noted the opinion was not written on the cp12 just the facts.
the opinion was given to the landlord via email. it's a tricky situation as we do not have to check the tenants own cooker. but if a diy fitting of the cooker means altering a previously sound gas pipe who is then responsible to put it right?
at least if they get someone in to act on my "hear say" the cooker bayonet will be correctly installed as it should have been from the start.

I agree with puddle deano :) The landlord has asked you to carry out a safety check. If the cooker belongs to the tenant then you note it on the safety check as tenants own and as you've observed the cooker installation issues then mark them down also. There is no need to record the pressure drop on the paperwork as it is within permissible, no smell reported. All that'll do is give grief IMO! You can not prove that the dodgy cooker install is the cause of the gas escape without further investigation in my opinion and why bother? 1.5mbar is small :) You could potentially loose a valued customer too?
point taken but i should also mention 3 years ago i replaced all the gas pipework in the house. i know and have worked for the landlord for many years which is why i mentioned the new leak to them as i know they are keen to keep the property in A1 condition.

should have noted the opinion was not written on the cp12 just the facts.
the opinion was given to the landlord via email. it's a tricky situation as we do not have to check the tenants own cooker. but if a diy fitting of the cooker means altering a previously sound gas pipe who is then responsible to put it right?
at least if they get someone in to act on my "hear say" the cooker bayonet will be correctly installed as it should have been from the start.

You make the responsible person, i'e' the tenant aware of your observations and let them act on your professional opinion IMO ... has nothing to do with the landlord but it's a good thing to let them know of your findings separately as a courtesy! Get's you brownie points :)

point taken but i should also mention 3 years ago i replaced all the gas pipework in the house. i know and have worked for the landlord for many years which is why i mentioned the new leak to them as i know they are keen to keep the property in A1 condition.

Sounds like you have a good relationship with the Landlord Deano ... :)

This might be a stupid question.

When doing a landlords gas safety why not check the cooker as it is the tenants?

I always check every appliance tenants or landlords as I am signing to say that the whole gas installation is safe. Also if I thought there was a leak on an appliance I would prove it then shut it off.

When doing a landlords gas safety why not check the cooker as it is the tenants?

I always check every appliance tenants or landlords as I am signing to say that the whole gas installation is safe. Also if I thought there was a leak on an appliance I would prove it then shut it off.

Why? In my opinion you're getting to involved! What if the customer had fitted 5 gas fires of their own or even one, would you remove every one and check their flues free of charge?

The writing for the regulation is this

Your tenants are responsible for any gas appliances they own, but you must still maintain the parts of any associated gas installations - like flues and ventilation grilles - and the pipe work.

i agree with diamondgas it's best not to get to involved with tenant owned old appliances.
i only had to note this one as the fault was with the bayonet which is connected to the pipework that the landlord owns.

@julesvern
to a degree yes, but the materials etc are correct, it's certainly not ID. and i have no proof it was a diy job, but i have never seen a competent person fit a back plate elbow and bayonet backwards..lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord check situation today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back