Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester Bosch 542/i - failed sweep test on electrode plate? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I've just had my annual maintenance check on my boiler (in title), it will be 8 years old in May this year and is (I think) still under guarantee as I get it checked annually with British Gas (they installed it and said the guarantee would be extended until it is 10yr old if I kept the annual checks up).
Now, for the first time since installation, they sent a contractor out to do the maintenance (not that I have anything against contractors, this guy told us he had come down from the Midlands, sent down to do a few jobs for them), but then this guy said after taking an hour to check the boiler over that he has failed the boiler on a sweep test on the electrode plate? and he has put a 'Warning do not use Boiler' sticker on it, and turned the boiler off.
I by no means know what this is, but I looked it up in the paperwork British Gas gave us when we had it installed (after he had gone), and I found in the installation guide what I thought it to be.
The engineer told us that Bosch had informed all registered installers that on any checks made on their boilers that they should make sure this Plate is tested?
Now it has me wondering is this a fault with the boiler build, or something more recent like a change in 'regs' as he said that tiny holes have appeared in it.
Now we by no means have ever given the boiler a hammering as the temperature rarely is set to go above 19 degrees Centigrade, even during the recent freezing period we had, we put more clothes on instead of turning it up (being Pensioners money is tight now).
We have 'Hive' and 'Boiler IQ' fitted with our boiler and the only time I've had a message out of the ordinary is when I had a radiator changed I had a Text message from 'Boiler IQ' stating low water pressure, and on this occasion when this engineer was doing his maintenance checks I had another stating 'We have detected a possible flame sensor issue with your boiler', but as he was still checking the boiler I assumed it was something he was working on. I've not had any problems or messages from 'Boiler IQ' when any of the other engineers have checked it (all with British Gas overalls on and in British Gas vans) so I'm a little perplexed as it was fine last May when we had the last check, so I'm just looking for a little enlightenment, is the lifetime of this plate as short as this? are we due to have more problems because of it?

Thanks
Hoping for a positive response.
WD

Reply to Worcester Bosch 542/i - failed sweep test on electrode plate? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock