Discuss Kitchen sink mystery blockage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Redyellowblue

Hello, this is my first post..

My kitchen sink is strangely and completely blocked. In an attempt to clear the blockage my friend and I (we are both not plumbers) have done the following:

1. Taken the bottom off the bottle trap and cleaned it. After reassembling the bottle trap we poured water into the outlet to see if the blockage was clear but the water backed up after pouring in scarcely enough water to even fill the trap.

2. Using a length of wire cable we poked through from the bottle trap across to the downpipe. We also removed a screw-on blank at the end of the main drain below the sink, and poked wire through approx four feet down the pipe, removing a lot of sludge. This too did not remove the blockage.

We noted the following which may or may not be relevant:

The washing machine outlet which also joins the drain behind the sink does not appear to have been affected by the current problem, because when we undid the blank there was no water rushing out of the washing machine outlet.

At some point the horizontal drain away from the sink has become detached from it's clip (which at some point broke). This has resulted in a zero or negative gradient away from the sink, creating an accumulation of water and waste gunk..some of which we've cleared. My landlords will send an engineer / plumber to re-attached this pipe next week, but so far says that the current blockage is not their responsibility.

Does any one have any ideas to where this blockage might be..?

Many thanks,

Redyellowblue

Have you poured any meat juices or fat down the sink? This is a fairly regular problem around Christmas.

Hi there colours , could the blockage be stopping the water from coming out the wm outlet ? Chances are it's the pipe with no gradient that's blocked and that would need cut , cleaned and re attached, good luck, and welcome to the forum,

I wouldn't have any faith in things like Mr muscles etc either as if it's solids then need removing, the trap u dismantled totally clear ?

Boiling water down waste couple times should remove it for now. Then get it replaced as will keep blocking.

Hi there colours , could the blockage be stopping the water from coming out the wm outlet ? Chances are it's the pipe with no gradient that's blocked and that would need cut , cleaned and re attached, good luck, and welcome to the forum,

Thanks Kris,

You may well be right, however I am still mystified as to why only a very small amount of water came out of the blank, and also why so very little water went into the trap before it backed up again after cleaning.

I am assuming 'wm' means waste main.

FYI I live in a block of flats on the fourth floor.

Regards and happy New Year,

Redyellowblue

I wouldn't have any faith in things like Mr muscles etc either as if it's solids then need removing, the trap u dismantled totally clear ?

Hi again Kris,

Thanks for that good advice.

Yes, the trap we dismantled is totally clear. This is why it is such a mystery to me.

Best,

Redyellowblue

Boiling water down waste couple times should remove it for now. Then get it replaced as will keep blocking.

Hi Jase158,

Thank you very much for your reply...i will try pouring a kettle of boiling water down the plughole and see if it removes the blockage for now..thanks so much for that.

When you say it should be replaced, do you mean the trap or something else?

Kindest regards and a happy New Year to you,

Redyellowblue

If it is indeed a bottle trap (which are not the best type of trap for a kitchen sink) then take it apart again and make sure the pipe part inside hasn't slipped and is touching the bottom of the "bottle".

CH is on the money here. I've often had to cut half an inch off the bottom of the inner tube because the manufacturers make them too long.

I'm with CH4, bottle traps aren't great for kitchen sinks. Once you've cleared the blockage I'd change it with a P trap. Have you tried a plunger? Depending on how bad/deep the blockage is it might move it. I usually stick my wetvac on it which clears 95% of them.

strangely I visit a lot of homes to do this and when I walk in with a plunger they tell me "I've tried that" but what they don't do is block the overflow with a damp cloth! so what they are doing is having no affect at all!! love to see their faces when I unblock it in like 20 seconds!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen sink mystery blockage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back