Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion heater coming on too early in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all
I’m not a plumber or a DIYer. I need help! My immersion heater has started coming on at about 10.15 pm. I dont know when this started happening but normally it comes on after midnight ( it runs on eco 7).
The immersion is wired into a switch on the wall that lights up when the heater is actively working (and there’s a separate booster switch). There’s no obvious timer.
How can I change this back to normal- so it comes on after midnight when electricity is cheaper?
If it helps, my guess is that the immersion heater ( and my electricity meter) are the originals from when the flat was built 30 years ago.
Many thanks for any help!

There must be a timer somewhere, even if it's the electricity meter itself with a contactor.
A picture of your electricity meter, anything adjacent by way of a radio teleswitch black box, and of your consumer unit (fusebox) would help, preferably from far enough away to see roughly what's wired to what!

There must be a timer somewhere, even if it's the electricity meter itself with a contactor.
A picture of your electricity meter, anything adjacent by way of a radio teleswitch black box, and of your consumer unit (fusebox) would help, preferably from far enough away to see roughly what's wired to what!
Thank you so much! You’re absolutely right, there’s a radio teleswitch box attached to the meter. I googled it, seems only the electricity supplier can change the times it’s programmed to, so called them and they’re going to adjust it! Phew. Thanks again, really grateful.

Thank you so much! You’re absolutely right, there’s a radio teleswitch box attached to the meter. I googled it, seems only the electricity supplier can change the times it’s programmed to, so called them and they’re going to adjust it! Phew. Thanks again, really grateful.
Don't know how that happened!!
Just as a heads up, the radio tele switch gadgets will cease working at the end of next year (well that's the plan - it was to have finished already but they've extended it) as the BBC will be turning off the LW radio transmitter that sends the time signals.
So worth thinking about changing to a smart meter - it's your electricity supplier's responsibility to sort it one way or another!

Don't know how that happened!!
Just as a heads up, the radio tele switch gadgets will cease working at the end of next year (well that's the plan - it was to have finished already but they've extended it) as the BBC will be turning off the LW radio transmitter that sends the time signals.
So worth thinking about changing to a smart meter - it's your electricity supplier's responsibility to sort it one way or another!
Bashed, you’ve been so helpful, thank you!
Seems the promise they could adjust the timings via the tele switch wasnt quite right. They say they can’t do it as it’s against health and safety laws for them to touch the box, so they only option is a new meter. From your reply I knew I’d need this anyway so have just gone with it.
Hope they can do it soon as the flippin tank is coming on and heating up at peak electricity rates…

thank again!

Hope they can do it soon as the flippin tank is coming on and heating up at peak electricity rates…
You might like to check what the meter is showing when the tank is heating at the "wrong time".
I thought the theory was that the tele switch simultaneously switches the meter to cheap rate, and switches on the off-peak supply to your immersion etc.. So the meter may actually be recording usage from 10.15pm at off-peak rate,
ie you are not wasting money - it's heating the water at cheap rate, at least that's my hope!

You might like to check what the meter is showing when the tank is heating at the "wrong time".
I thought the theory was that the tele switch simultaneously switches the meter to cheap rate, and switches on the off-peak supply to your immersion etc.. So the meter may actually be recording usage from 10.15pm at off-peak rate,
ie you are not wasting money - it's heating the water at cheap rate, at least that's my hope!
And once again Basher you‘re spot on! Have checked over two evenings and the meter is switching to low cost rate at 10.15p.m. So at least the tank isn’t heating at peak rate.
Thank you so much for all your help!

Reply to Immersion heater coming on too early in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock