Currently reading:
IDEAL ELAN 2 RS30: RAD above height of CH Boiler & Expansion Tank? Vented/Semi Grav?

Discuss IDEAL ELAN 2 RS30: RAD above height of CH Boiler & Expansion Tank? Vented/Semi Grav? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q1). RAD above height of CH Boiler & Expansion Tank? IDEAL ELAN 2 RS30: Vented/Semi Gravity CH System?
or feasibly this would prevent the CH system from working properly, as it lacks the force to supply water in an upwards direction even with an EXTERNAL PUMP after the CH BOILERS FLOW output.

BOILER: IDEAL ELAN 2 RS30
EXTERNAL PUMP: RavenHeat Rs25 40/60/88w
CONDITION: CH System is in good working order, Room Temp Max 22ºC & RADs total within BTU MAX
BOILER: 1st floor in BEDROOM
EXPANSION TANK: 2nd floor in LOFT

Hence want to put new RAD on 2nd floor the LOFT above BOILER & EXPANSION TANK.

But there is NOT adequate room to move the CH BOILER into the 2nd floor in LOFT, however the EXPANSION TANK could be repositioned HIGHER UP then existing to be ABOVE future/potential/hypothetical RAD in LOFT.

I'm guessing from existing manual diagrams that accurately depict the current existing CH system install, it could be described as a VENTED/SEMI GRAVITY, it is CENTRAL HEATING only with no provision for DHW. Some of my family are plumbers however since they're young their education/training is of simpler pressurized Combi's, and old now redundant/obsolete systems before their time is guess work instead of actual factual knowledge. Also I spoke to Ideal and 'A PLUMBER' I spoke to say it relies on Gravity hence RADS are below the BOILER ONLY and obviously the EXPANSION TANK is above the CH BOILER to provide it with a greater abundance of water then just the COLD FEED.

After reading the IDEAL BOILERS MANUFACTURERS manual of this old MODEL made in 1984 thoroughly
I can't find any reference to positioning of Reds just below BOILER, however at the time it may have been implied as the common system of the time & Plumbers instinctively that then, but it might not matter just not mentioned then because loft conversions weren't popular.

So far each Plumber I spoken to so far has had a different opinion or recommendation, and I presume a lot of this has to do with their familiarity or lack of it, and their preference to suggest chucking the old system & fitting a Combi as compromises of less external bits!

Contradictory Suggestions so far:
I) RADS must be below CH BOILER & EXPANSION TANK
ii) RADS must be below EXPANSION TANK
iii) RADS can be above CH BOILER
iv) Chuck the old Boiler lot & fit Combi that would heat RAD above boiler regardless because it's pressurized

Re: IDEAL ELAN 2 RS30: RAD above height of CH Boiler & Expansion Tank? Vented/Semi G

Don't feed the troll :)

Re: IDEAL ELAN 2 RS30: RAD above height of CH Boiler & Expansion Tank? Vented/Semi G

Where's natural selection when you need it?

anyway Combi stats aren't much different or better then these:

CH Boiler Tech Specs Excel Page Website:
sar1977.karoo.net/CHIdealElan2RS32.xls

Plumbers I know say the majority of their calls outs can be categorized as:
i) Pump seized remedied by either replacing or hitting hard
ii) Cold Feed needs calc deposits unblocking in Expansion Tank Ball & Cistern as water flow has slowed to slow trickle instead of plentiful supply of water.
iii) Expansion Tank Ball & Cistern seized hence preventing top up of system as required due to evaporation
iv) Older system replaced with Combi, as trial & error testing of current CH's individual parts/systems thought not to be worthwhile as CH System considered to be derelict knackered wreck.

And Plumbers today are taught about newer systems, are over time became familiar with older systems, after all they are many Makes & Models that differ from year to year, and how can you know for certain about something you haven’t seen or installed yourself, same as Electricians are only taught about modern Consumer Unit Fuse Boxes not the older blow fuse box instead, or previous cable colour coding systems, and car mechanics/mot testers know much less about Carburetors cars then the now standard Fuel Injection cars.

You're definitely on a wind up. Read post #2 for the advice you should follow.

Thread closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to IDEAL ELAN 2 RS30: RAD above height of CH Boiler & Expansion Tank? Vented/Semi Grav? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back