Currently reading:
I have gas central heating served by a valiant boiler.

Discuss I have gas central heating served by a valiant boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tina

When I'm in bed at night I hear what sounds like a tank being filled every 30 minutes or so when I checked my water meter water is being used throughout the night ...any ideas what this is

I,ve looked for leaks and running water but can't find any my bedroom is above my bathroom so the noise seems to come from below

No I have a bath sink and separate shower in there nothing seems wrong in there

As i only seems to hear this happen at night when I'm in bed and the heating is off could it be anything to do with the outlet pipe that goes from the boiler to the drain ?

It is possible but unlikely, this would also happen during the day. I would expect a leak but what throws me is the fact you say it fills every half hour or so, this if the sound is beneath you suggests the toilet as it would need to be a ball valve filling.

As croppie says check inside of toilet pan as new toilets will overflow or partially leak into the inside of the bowl. This could be a very small leak to only fill every half hour. You may simply not notice during day due to toilet usage and other sounds.

I would first go with Croppies suspicion.

Nightly ist often the case when you have ball valves in the cistern/tank. When the pressure rises at night these might not close properly anymore and cause an overflow.

Just a bylaw kit can cause this behaviour as well as it syphons ~2" away and then fills up again if entry valve is passing/ wrongly set up.

Added: leaks tend to give a rather constant trickle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have checked the toilet and you are correct there is a very slow drip into the pan how do I fix this ??

I have checked the toilet and you are correct there is a very slow drip into the pan how do I fix this ??
Can you describe what type of outlet valve you have got? is it connected via cable/hose to a flush button? Or has it a chain? Or is it a syphon with a lever handle?

Can you describe what type of outlet valve you have got? is it connected via cable/hose to a flush button? Or has it a chain? Or is it a syphon with a lever handle?

Maybe call a _local_ friendly plumber, should take him a few minutes only. If you are not overly technical.

It's a cable/ hose with a flush button

Most of those valves can be taken out without disassembling everything via a short turn. These have a big washer on the bottom. Sometimes cleaning the washer and the rim on the outlet helps.

In rare occassions even repeated flushing clears potential dirt away.

If that does not help, my advices is to ask a local plumber to change this assembly (sometimes they can even source a washer).

Arghh, forgot to ask, have you checked if it is potentially overflowing only?

No there's a definite drip into the pan
At the side of the outlet valve is an overflow pipe that leads inside the pan. Any overflowing would show up as drip in the pan as well. Easy way to find out is to look if the water level is anywhere near that overflow "pipe" (often sort of flat shaped open ended pointing upwards.

Tina get a plumber in you had problems with shower yesterday in caravan, and now toilet problem make a list and call local plumber

If it was the flush valve would not the float valve be refilling all the time guy's (worth checking valves are off & then remove the filling loop if you have a combi boiler, Tina)

If it was the flush valve would not the float valve be refilling all the time guy's (worth checking valves are off & then remove the filling loop if you have a combi boiler, Tina)

No. Because: A. The toilet isn't being flushed at night therefore a very slow fill into cistern will only lead to overflowing at night, and B. nighttime water pressure is higher. There's 2 possible reasons.

Really though its going to be tough to diagnose if you don't have a plumber who will come out at midnight. May be some trial and error but I'd start with toilet.

Not necessary, if it is a silent fill valve it will behave like this. But these would not bother with the pressure. Strange though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I have gas central heating served by a valiant boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back