Search the forum,

Discuss How to connect to this soil pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I took the boxing out from around this toilet yesterday to find this old style clay(?) or concerete (?) soil pipe. The existing toilet has a 90 deg spigot on the back but obviously the replacement is a nomal modern one. Can I just break the solid seal around the old spigot, whip it out and then insert a modern 90 deg pan connector in far enough to seal on the main body of the pipe? Or do I need a specific adapter? I have other work to finish in the room but didn't want to take it out and leave the client without a toilet because I don't have the correct adapter.
IMG_1484.jpg

Looks like cast iron pipe.
There is a rubber adapter available that will fit over the fosset near the wall.
If you take the pan off, you may be able to manipulate the pipe connecting the pan out of the fosset.
Don't manipulate too much in case you break the fosset - then all your worst nightmares will seem like fairytales

Just be careful it’s not abestos pipe

The socket at the wall will either be filled with lead or cement.

So depending on where the toilet outlet is, depends what to do.

Either angle grind the cast and connect to it.

Or remove the pipe stub from the socket, if:

cement - masonry drill bit and stitch drill around pipe to loosen it, then hammer/chisel to remove.

lead - blow torch to melt it out

Then inset new piece of plastic pipe with cement.

Just be careful it’s not abestos pipe
That's a really good point. I'll test it with a magnet tomorrow and that should tell me if it's cast ron underneath the various layers, in which case I'm good to go and will angle grind it per Timmy's suggestion. Just done some reading and the age of the toilet puts it smack bang in the middle of the popular asbestos fitting period so need to be careful if I can't prove it's metal.

Reply to How to connect to this soil pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock