Discuss How did we manage before the internet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

I keep seeing threads from plumbing students saying that they don't understand some module number or need help to complete assessment number something or other. Is it just me or do other people not have the faintest idea what they are talking about?

When I did my training I don't remember all this worry about different module numbers and assessment numbers. We just did the training, went into the workshop bays and completed what we were asked to do and sat a few exams.

Are things really that much more complicated? If we didn't understand something we asked the lecturer or looked it up one of our text books, Roy Treloar helped me out quite a few times.

It seems to me that students don't want to put the time in reading textbooks or talking to each other nowadays. They seem to want instant answers from the internet without having to think.

I think the availability of advice on the internet has made people less able to figure things out for themselves. In years gone by when you went to a boiler breakdown you had to figure it out for yourself or seek help from the guys you worked with. A lot of the time you couldn't even ring the manufacturers because they didn't have help lines or the customers didn't have a phone. I know boilers were a lot more basic when I started but it seems to me from some of the posts I see on here that people aren't developing a basic understanding of the methodology of fault finding. Perhaps this is another issue from the instant gratification of having all this knowledge at your fingertips, people want an instant solution rather than spending a bit of time working it out for themselves.

I know what you mean Mike. This extends to kids in school when set a project. They go straight to the internet, no talking to adults with more experience or discussion between themselves, just look it up and print it off. Text books seem to be a thing of the past.:disappointed:

Just imagine what life will be like in say 50 years, no books, no interaction between humans, no need to go to work and meet people. I'm grateful that I'm the age I am and not starting out in life.

Welcome to the future.:hurray:

Happy New Year everyone.

I think some of it is because people are embarrassed to ask questions in front of people in case they look stupid, where as asking via the internet no one sees them so they don't feel the embarrassment.

In my opinion, there is so much more to learn these days - not just in plumbing but in all walks of life.

A rental contract, for example, was a page (or two pages maximum) back in the 1960's. Nowdays it's several dozen pages.

In the electrics world, you had a consumer unit with wire fuses. An electrician would install the consumer unit, one or two circuits for lights and a few for sockets. When a fuse blew the householder would change the wire and everything would be hunky dory for another few months year or so. Nowdays, household electrics are used for showers, swimming pools, fancy fridges, televisions and all manner of items which contribute to the loading. Technology has moved from fuses to circuit breakers and we're all much more health and safety conscious so there is much more to know about electricity and as we know from plumbing, different regions have different rules.

In the car world many men could fix their car back in the 1960's and 70's but once the computer chip came into the engine bay, ABS braking, raising and lowering of suspension, sat nav and so on cars have become a completely different animal.

In the plumbing world, you had gas or oil and an open vented hot water cylinder and surface pipework. You had a wc, sink or basin and a bath. No fancy power showers, saunas, unvented cylinders, programmable room thermostats and so much less to learn as a result, although you did have to learn a few skills/art (e.g. wet joints or whatever the old, wrinkly plumbers called them!)

Life was much simpler in the 1900's than today which is why we managed.

All, imho!

imho i have a few plumbers which i can phone for my questions but its much easier asking on here and the guys on here are a bit more clued up aswell, anything i want to know about i can find on the internet, but doesnt mean i still dont ask my dad for advice or doesnt mean i dont interact with people lol.

but mike jackson i dont think your correct in what you are saying as when i was in college(only a couple of years ago) we were not all on the internet 24/7 we were reading our text books and talking with each other asking the lecturer etc, but now as im no longer in college and out in the real world the internet is my new best friend

Before the internet and mobile phones became widespread, and we are only really talking about 15 - 20 years ago, 99% of people doing a trade worked for someone so they were shown and taught how to do the job and collage supplemented this and added the theory. Most times you would be dropped off on your own at a job with no way of contacting anyone so you had to figure it out for yourself. If you were really stuck you asked a mate and figured out the rest yourself.

Boilers became more complicated in the 80's when fans were added and combis became more widely used, power showers and unvented cylinders came out in the 80's too, rcd's and mcb's in the 70's so you had to read the books go on the courses and evolve with the technology. Nothing too hard about it for most tradesmen with half a brain.

Maybe people are becoming too used to things on demand. The old saying goes "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day but teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime".
Unfortunately many are not being taught anymore and just jump in. Without the internet to feed them most would never survive.

there were ways but be used them less. even so now because the internet is the answer to everything as everything here is always true :ciappa:

there were ways but be used them less. even so now because the internet is the answer to everything as everything here is always true :ciappa:

Nice reply.......been lurking around here for a while and this is my first post. :smiley2:

Yet again today, these forums helped me figure out a heating problem....haven't had to ask a question yet because the answer's already posted.

BTW...when was the last time anyone used a fax ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How did we manage before the internet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock