Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss How dangerous is this engineers mistake? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcgurbic

Hi everyone

An engineer has just left my property. He's disconnected the boiler as the last engineer didn't fit a 'flume test cap' and considers it too dangerous to continue using until this part is fitted.

My question is this: exactly how dangerous is it to have not refitted this part?

I have been experiencing headaches for some time now. I've still got the winter duvet on so have been opening the windows on a night time recently. It's around this time the headaches stopped. The engineer tested the output and says there is no harmful gases.

I have no idea if the two are related but it kind of makes sense?

I'm considering taking legal action but haven't a clue what I'm talking about so wanted to educate myself first.

Any comments/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

McGurbic

it happens.
the flue plug should be around boiler somewhere unless he left it in his pocket. just needs popping back in.
if you are concerned about your health and can rule out any 'flue-cold' symptoms' pop to your A&E for a co test. paranoia can also bring on headaches but unless you get tested know one will know and you cant claim anything!.
hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to service a boiler few years ago and no flue was fitted to the boiler unbelievably somehow it was never fitted nor picked up on previous services.They had a decent shout of a claim imho however will a cap missing give you enough levels of carbon monoxide poisoning i am not so sure .

By the time you get to A&E and breathed enough oxygen in your blood saturation levels may have depleted.

But a co meter for future peace of mind

Less stress = less headaches

Believe me I know. Stress & too much thinking is not good

When i was approx 15 BG serviced our parents back boiler and the engineer broke the flue off the top somehow and left it.

We were subject to carbon monoxide poisoning and i can tell you now big doses you feel quite sick and have banging headaches.You will also notice your windows steam up very quickly.

I doubt you had that but the engineer who forgot it made a boo boo

The headaches haven't happened for a while now and I've just found out an hour or so ago about the missing cap. Just very angry as I've been living with it like this for months and it must be serious if I can't use it until they get a replacement?!

hard to prove when the cap went missing and who removed it over a long period of time. Bit like an mot on a car, it passes on the day, thereafter up to you to ensure its ok till next mot.

I persomally think all manufacturers should make the caps tamperproof so joe blogggs cant remove it (not saying thats happened here).

True Phill they should all need a tool to remove (like they used to). Kids can and do unscrew them or pop them off.

Or a retaining strap.

I make it a habit to leave the cap on top of the boiler. Then if I do forget it's still with the boiler.

Burner pressure test points are my blind spot. Couple of times I've had to pull a cover back off because I couldn't remember sealing them back up...

Yes lol. Put a cover back on the other day. Went to put my screwdriver in the toolbox and the (baxi105) combustion door is smiling at me.

Damn you sexy bang tidy coffee making non stop talking milf lol

Ohh how i laughed (and sweated profusely) at the same time LOL

Its great to read we're all human..

Most combi boilers give off very little CO, you're more likely to get a head ache from life generally..

If it as burning correctly, which I'm sure it was. Not detrimental at all.

Not technically ok but I'd have put temporary cap on and come back with the part next day.
Different if you're not on your own as cant be sure it will get done.

Very unlikely to get carbon monoxide generation because of a missing cap, but agree that missing cap indicates an over-worked installer or a degree of incompetence!

Note: Carbon monoxide is the toxic gas produced when gas burns incompletely owing to a fault situation.

However, if the boiler is fanned balanced flue, it can take its air for combustion through the air-intake part of flue - so the products of combustion will be C02 + H20 and not CO.

Hence, the boiler was only ever capable of discharging small amounts of 'CO2' into the flat which is harmless (note you do not keel over and die when using a gas cooker, which are sometimes rated over 20KW with no flue).

Very unlikely to get carbon monoxide generation because of a missing cap, but agree that missing cap indicates an over-worked installer or a degree of incompetence!

Note: Carbon monoxide is the toxic gas produced when gas burns incompletely owing to a fault situation.

However, if the boiler is fanned balanced flue, it can take its air for combustion through the air-intake part of flue - so the products of combustion will be C02 + H20 and not CO.

Hence, the boiler was only ever capable of discharging small amounts of 'CO2' into the flat which is harmless (note you do not keel over and die when using a gas cooker, which are sometimes rated over 20KW with no flue).

Clanger by name...

Despite my last post. A hole in the flue is 'Immediately Dangerous' end of!
Considering the audience thats the only message of note.

A tiny fault on air/gas mix or flue can produce huge CO - think hosepipe on car exhaust!

Do not leave thinking its not a problem IT IS!

I'd give the gas man abreak tho, no harm - no foul

Clanger by name...

Despite my last post. A hole in the flue is 'Immediately Dangerous' end of!
Considering the audience thats the only message of note.

A tiny fault on air/gas mix or flue can produce huge CO - think hosepipe on car exhaust!

Do not leave thinking its not a problem IT IS!

I'd give the gas man abreak tho, no harm - no foul

You listen to radio 2 too much. ....

Thought youd be with me on this one croppie!

If the flue seals go i can max out my 451 on CO, thats 10000ppm.
The fact that the cap is missing is not a bad thing in this case as it was picked up and means the flue seals are ok or it would have already been capped.

Just want to make the point - its not ok to leave it and people should take it seriously if the flue is leaking POC
Taking CO seriously is kinda the reason we are here!

Unless it was me that left it off, in which case its fine - was probably just distracted by womans hour or something

Last edited:
Sheez, chill out. Yes it's a bad mistake, let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How dangerous is this engineers mistake? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock