Discuss Householder here, pls help, downstairs rads cold, enginineer stumped after power flus in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Householder here, pls help, downstairs rads cold, enginineer stumped after power

Once again, thank you to everyone who has replied. Your advice has been invaluable.

So seems our best course of action is to remove grundfos pump and replace boiler pump. Then put on a magna clens? BUT first remove sludge/blockage ... Otherwise problem will remain?

i have read Bronze Tap's explanation of power flush, thank you. Not something I think I could attempt but is the best way to find blockage then to remove all the rads and flush through with water, wont blockage be more likely in pipes? and also read that perhaps power flush should not just have been done from hall radiator.

Should machine be attached to each rad to try to clear blockage/sludge? is there a certain protocol to be followed by heating engineers or is each 'problem' blockage treated differently? I have also taken on board the comment that power flushes are to clean system and not actually remove blockages...

Finally ... I am so sorry that this has turned into War and Peace ... And is there anyone in North Kent/SE London that could come and sort this out for me or recommend someone :)

Re: Householder here, pls help, downstairs rads cold, enginineer stumped after power

There are a few boys out your way Kaz, hopefully they'll see this and pm you.

well, sorry guys, I am back again!

new pump fitted to boiler today, pump in upstairs airing cupboard has been decommissioned (still in place, electrical supply cut off). Has not cured the oroblem, no change at all. We will now be going into our third week of no heating and £550 lighter! engineer said he has put some 'chemical' into system (I was on phone at time, have a relative seriously I'll in hospital, and he spoke to my partner). He has said run the system for a couple of weeks with the chemical in it ... Said after that he will have to get under floorboards and check pipe work. We have oak flooring over floorboards so he will have to get in from living room where there is carpet only over original floorboards.

Incidentally we have now noticed that when hot water only is on, the radiator in the bedroom next to airing cupboard s piping hot plus the one in the next bedroom ... He said this is strange, but they are unlikely to be fed from hot water system (then why are they boiling hot?)

Also when hot water is on temp on boiler stays constant. When heating is on temp fluctuates all the time.

Heating wen on at 1.20 pm today, changing over from hot water being on. emp on boiler went down immed fro 76 to 46 .... At 1.43 pm it read 44' 1.47 pm - 74, 1.51 - 48, 1.52 - 70, 1.53 - 76. Is this normal, should it be fluctuating like this all the time?

I am just about At the end of my tether, two kids and the coldest March since 1963 ...

I did suggest taking rads off and flushing through .. He said if a blockage more likely to be in pipe work than rads ...

Kaz they need to take out the second pump completly as just disconnecting it will leave a smaller waterways going through which wont help your problem. I had one like this the other day which turned out to be the ball on 2-port valve had expanded so valve was opening electrically but not actually opening the waterways. Either that or its a blocked return on the heating would be my guess.

Thanks Phoenix Services. I did if pump should be taken out which he said he would do initially and put a piece of pipe in to replace it but then said disconnecting it would be ok ... Is the return one of the pipes that takes the water back to boiler ? If so could be anywhere in the pipework . Sorry I know it must be a very basic question, but Im a ladyyyyyy, lol. Although I must say think I might go in for a plumbing course after all this ... :yes:

pump definately needs removing before you do anything else

Where abouts are you in SE London? I may be able to take a look at it for you.

Where abouts are you in SE London? I may be able to take a look at it for you.

How did I miss that one! Didn't get an email saying had a reply ... Am in Beckenham, any good?

How did I miss that one! Didn't get an email saying had a reply ... Am in Beckenham, any good?

Ahh beckenham my old home town! Not near Langley school are you? Memory lane!

Very near. My boys attend Langley, 5 min walk in the morn ...,!

Ah great days! Actually they weren't! I hated school but I made my first fortune selling cigarettes and wham bars at the gates!

Sorry gone off topic! Hope you get it sorted.

Ha ha, no problem. Still a very good school, we moved here from another borough for school. Nice area too, station, pub, shops, nearby, but nice and quiet, what more could you ask for. Actually a nice house in Knockholt with a couple of acres but I can dream !

well, sorry guys, I am back again!

new pump fitted to boiler today, pump in upstairs airing cupboard has been decommissioned He has said run the system for a couple of weeks with the chemical in it ... Said after that he will have to get under floorboards and check pipe work. We have oak flooring over floorboards so he will have to get in from living room where there is carpet only over original floorboards.

Incidentally we have now noticed that when hot water only is on, the radiator in the bedroom next to airing cupboard s piping hot plus the one in the next bedroom ... He said this is strange, but they are unlikely to be fed from hot water system (then why are they boiling hot?)

Also when hot water is on temp on boiler stays constant. When heating is on temp fluctuates all the time.

I assume that you've got a HW tank.
So you say that on the HW mode boiler is working fine (except the 2rads hot), but on CH cycles (flow restriction)?
Than I would suggest checking both motorized valves, inspect that the rubber ball inside each them is intact and moving freely. If some bits missing -> it is blocking somewhere in the CH pipework. (in addition to the old pumps).
Tell them to do a proper flow resistance testing with garden hose or power flusher, check for pressure differential on the pipework/boiler. Also check boiler's waterways. (but less likely, because th HW is fine). Try flushing the system in the oposite flow direction from the boiler/pump connections. (Disconnect the boiler AND the extra pump to do that.) Be ready for the black bit of rubber ~(20-18mm) to emerge :)

-> do get your guy to have a look at motorized valves? Also check them on the inside? (Not just replace them), make sure bals/washers haven't gone missing and blocking?

PPS: Check for possible direct bypass between the flow/return pipes (from the single pipe system days). Do this if there is NO flow resistance between the flow/return, even if all rads are off/closed.

And wish all of you good luck and Happy and Warm Easter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Householder here, pls help, downstairs rads cold, enginineer stumped after power flus in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock