Search the forum,

Discuss Heats lave 12/14 Burner problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Got called to a breakdown, went through the process of isolating the problem and found the burner motor to be the problem; volt pen lights up at the connection to the wiring but the fan doesn't turn and it goes to lockout.
Problem is finding the replacement motor as it's old. Parts Centre have suggested that a Nuway motor might do the trick but wondered if any of you know for definite.
The motor is a Bentone 70w motor and the Noway is also a 70w
They've been without hot water for a couple of days now so i need to get this done.
Any useful comments/suggestions are welcome

get onto heating world of spares website and see their selection of motors and they will be cheaper than parts center as well

Heating world of spares for a bentone 70w. I always have a 70 and a 90 in the van. I know its stable door, horse etc but you will need basics on the van or a tested old burner that you can just drop in.

Parts center will have your pants down for a motor.

Thanks for that - how's had slipped my mind but I have also just thought of something else; the capacitor. I didn't check it because I've forgotten where they hide. Can someone enlighten me - Ive had too much Guinness this weekend!
oh - it's a 70W Bentone FHP motor with a 3uf capacitor

Did the motor hum? If it did, then the capacitor could well be faulty & you could have tested that by just giving the fan a spin. The capacitor is attached to the side of that motor.
Check the oil pump isn't seized, or the bearings on motor seizing.
That Bentone motor is very standard. It is on the Inter B9 burners, if I am thinking of same motor.

As above, also check the drive dog hasnt broken and locked it up. I did have a dead bat in a fan once - take the pump off and try to start up, see if the motor runs then...

Thanks a lot for the advice. I have already checked the pump, and replaced it as it was sticking but the drive dog on the motor is ok and I can't hear the motor humming so I'm assuming that it's the motor. There's a good spark so it's not the solenoid, the Satronic box is new (owner tried to fix the breakdown) so there's not much left to check, oh and there's no restriction in the oil supply either.
yep it is a B9 :)

Ok - can't get the parts locally so I've gone to HWOS and Ive bought two motors so that I can keep a spare. Bought some over stuff to keep on the van as well :)

??? Really???
Is your qualification for oil boiler installs or servicing and breakdowns? Sounds like your stabbing in the dark a bit with this fault.
I'm OFTEC registered and that's what counts :) I did most of my oil stuff 20 years ago so as I've only been back in the game for a short while, and not too many breakdowns at that, I'm a little rusty but shouldn't the solenoid be ok if I'm getting a spark, or am I calling it by the wrong name?

Transformer. Solenoid is the coil. Just a mix up of terms methinks :)

You probably did a similar OFTEC to me. I also learned nothing. :smile:
There were guys who were not plumbers & also had no idea about oil boilers doing the OFTEC. I was the only one there who knew anything about oil boilers. We all passed it. I feel sorry for the customers that got these "qualified oil technicians".

It's a bit like the 'Gas Engineers' course that I've done. Taxi drivers, office workers, salesmen, you name them and they were there. most didn't even know how to use a bender or solder a fitting.
BTW - I didn't learn anything on the OFTEC either, they just checked that I knew how to do it all safely. I used to do both back in the day but I had a really big gap when I was a school teacher and things change a lot in 20 years :)

Get yourself on to some manufactures course's, they are much better than oftec, some do free course.
HRM do a thing where you just spend a day with one of their engineers on his rounds, they use sterling burners which are on a lot of older boilers, and their blokes are ace, fire loads of questions at them.
But there are other ones that do similar things.
Worcester one is pretty good.

Do e two of the Worcester courses but as I don't get that many calls the knowledge doesn't stick too well :)
thd gid news is that he burner now works, it was the motor in the end but the customer was more than happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heats lave 12/14 Burner problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock