Search the forum,

Discuss Heat only boiler to combi upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, moved into a detached house which has 4 bedrooms, 1 bath and an electric shower, 14 rads in total.

The current setup which i have no idea how it works, has a heat only boiler which looks quite old and a cylinder in the bedroom cupboard, pics attached

I've had a few quotes, and it has been suggested to rip out the old system and fit an ideal vogue c40 combi boiler which has a flow rate of 16.4 Ltr/min

Will this boiler be more than adequate to do the job? Or is it too big for the house?

I would appreciate your advice

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_150209.jpg
    IMG_20190628_150209.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190628_150918.jpg
    IMG_20190628_150918.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190628_150218.jpg
    IMG_20190628_150218.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
It’ll do the job. Depends what you want though. Have you discussed your requirements with your installer?? Vogue wouldn’t be my choice but that’s a different story

Yes it should be up to the job providing you have enough incoming flow and pressure to give you 16lpm.
I think the vogue is a good boiler.

I'm not a big fan of 40kw combis. If you have the requirements for a 40kw combi then get an unvented.

Is it you have 1 bathroom and 1 shower room?

Choices,choices,choices...

In the end it will come down to your personal preference (and if you need the space where the current hot water tank is).

With respect to a large combination boiler, they are only as good as the dynamic cold water flow that feeds it. Be absolutely sure that you have an incoming dynamic water pressure at the point of entry into the boiler that can achieve the boiler output. Whilst you indicate that your boiler is 16 litres/min, that could equate to needing around 18 litres/min at the meter. There is little point in having a combi larger than the cold water feed flow - they should always be sized to your actual flow rates.

My personal preference would be system unvented, but it would be more expensive. However you would end up with a smaller boiler and, in my view, better control of your hot water.

Having said that a properly specified Combi would probably work well for you.

In my area, I rarely come across 40kw + combi boilers that are running at anywhere near their design capacity for hot water

Yep, its one bath and a separate electric shower

The gas pipe is approx 5 to 7 metres away, my previous house had 22mm gas pipe ive been told the gas pipe will need to be upgraded to 28mm. There is no gas fire in the new house but there is a gas cooker

Space is not an issue re costs i'm getting the boiler at a really good price as my friend owns a plumbers merchant. In total its costing me £1350 including the install

If i were to upgrade the current system, what would this likely cost?

The 28mm minimum is correct for that length.

Water flow rates are absolutely key - no point paying for a larger gas line, if you cannot use the gas! You CH load is probably only 50 to 60 % of your proposed boiler capacity.

For costs, it depends where you are located and the complexity of the job.

Best to draft up a specification and then get three comparative quotes

Too cheap I can’t even buy the vogue for that

As for install how long has he said it will take ?

2 to 3 days I've been told it'll take

I haven't actually purchased the boiler yet, looking for opinions as to whether i should convert to combi or upgrade/replace the current setup and whether the vogue is the right boiler to go for

Read this about the vogue, Up to 7:1 modulation, what does this mean?

I’d be more inclined to stay with boiler/cylinder set up and maybe going to an unvented cylinder as long as you’ve got adequate pressure/flow rate, see how much your mate at the merchants can get a 18kw boiler and a 300l cylinder for

It will cost you more short-term with an unvented cylinder however the results assuming that your mains is up to it will be vastly better than a combi

In the nicest way that just means he’s a Combi slinger and probably doesn’t have the skill set to give you the work you require. Anybody that won’t entertain any other sort of system I would steer clear of

Definitely gas registered, how much would you have expected it to cost to convert to combi? Labour and parts?

I hope no corners are cut!

I've priced a few bbu out combi in airing cupboard and they have been coming in at around £2600-3000 with a 30kw combi.

If they are charging you £600 labour and materials then my guess is it's a cash job and they will be stealing from their bosses.

Your initial proposal is probably tolerable should you stick with the electric shower. However it’s overkill size wise fitting a boiler like that when your heat requirement is probably less than half the boilers capability plus you will get a much more satisfying shower or showers should you go down that route from an unvented cylinder (supplies allowing)

Your initial proposal is probably tolerable should you stick with the electric shower. However it’s overkill size wise fitting a boiler like that when your heat requirement is probably less than half the boilers capability plus you will get a much more satisfying shower or showers should you go down that route from an unvented cylinder (supplies allowing)

Although the boiler is oversized from a heating perspective, would it not modulate down to adjust?

The vogue has Up to 7:1 modulation, what does this mean?

The boiler can be range rated accordingly. But let’s not kid ourselves you are getting it for the hot water supply correct? You don’t know that your incoming mains pressure and flow are adequate to supply the boiler with what it needs. The thing with that is if it is adequate then why would you want a drop-in flow every time someone opens up a second outlet which is exactly what will happen with a combi boiler. This is where these high kilowattage combi boilers are a difficult decision. You would get one pretty good shower to outlets open is never going to happen

The boiler can be range rated accordingly. But let’s not kid ourselves you are getting it for the hot water supply correct? You don’t know that your incoming mains pressure and flow are adequate to supply the boiler with what it needs. The thing with that is if it is adequate then why would you want a drop-in flow every time someone opens up a second outlet which is exactly what will happen with a combi boiler. This is where these high kilowattage combi boilers are a difficult decision. You would get one pretty good shower to outlets open is never going to happen

Yep, definitely for the hot water supply, rather than the heating, in our previous house, we had a combi very rarely the bath/shower and kitchen taps would be used at the same time, this is the only time i recall a drop in water pressure. In light of our circumstances that's why i think a combi will also be suitable

I agree with the above mate. I don’t like the idea of a combi in a 4 bed.

Not so much a combi in a 4 bed as I believe there are times it's acceptable to install a combi in a house that size. I know I'm in the minority on thinking that as we've been down that conversation before a couple of times.

Reason I dont really like them is because people think they are suitable for running 2 bathrooms at the same time. If you have 2 bathrooms and want to use them at the same time then get an unvented if you dont want to use them both at the same time then get a 30-35kw boiler.

I agree with the sentiment you are talking in your current situation but I don’t understand why you don’t future proof in case your family grows or you take on a lodger that sort of thing?? The combi boiler will not be sufficient for using both bathrooms or likely even the hot tap in the kitchen and the shower

Not so much a combi in a 4 bed as I believe there are times it's acceptable to install a combi in a house that size. I know I'm in the minority on thinking that as we've been down that conversation before a couple of times.

Reason I dont really like them is because people think they are suitable for running 2 bathrooms at the same time. If you have 2 bathrooms and want to use them at the same time then get an unvented if you dont want to use them both at the same time then get a 30-35kw boiler.

Its one bath and a separate electric shower in another room but definitely won't be used at the same time. Maybe on the odd rare occasion.

30-35kw vs going for the 40kw will there be any advantages?

Reply to Heat only boiler to combi upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock