Discuss Having Fun With Some DIY Plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're in the middle of a drought with 'day zero' estimated around May next year so I've decided to go off grid, or partially off grid in an effort to ensure I still have water at home.

I decided to use my borehole water for most of the house and just use council water for human consumption such as drinking and cooking. This has meant I've had to split the plumbing into two circuits, borehole water now supplies the 5 bathrooms and council water supplies just the cold water on the kitchen sink, the coffee machine and the soda machine which are both permanently plumbed in. There's also an option to revert back to council water for the entire house as well.

It's meant some serious DIY plumbing, although probably not plumbing as you know it, over the last month or two.

Have you thought through the implications of putting the pump (and other electrical gear) in what looks like a rather well-sealed box. How's the heat that the pump motor will need to need to dissipate going to get out?

That panel was already existing, it's a year or more old, it's just the trenching I did yesterday and a new 25mm pipe that I installed to it.
You can't see in the photo but the panel has a 100mm circular cut-out for the air flow on the left hand side where the back of the pump is and there's several.....from memory I think 8 or 10 x 25mm vent holes in the bottom of the panel.

I checked temperatures during the 1 hour irrigation cycle when I built the panel and there was no overheating issues as long as the head pressure was above 2 Bar.

There was one irrigation station back then that was running at very low pressure and the pump got close to its temperature limits when that station was active but I re-jetted the sprinklers to increase the water pressure and increased the run time of that station which solved the problem.

Well my system has been up and running since early Jan and our council water consumption is going to be just under 1 kilolitre per month which is great.

I have one slight unforseen issue....more of an annoyance really. The borehole water has some air in it which makes the showers 'spit' every 30 seconds or so when you use them. You can also hear spitting noises in the toilet cisterns as they refill.

I should have really preempted this issue because the irrigation system that was previously running on the borehole also used to make periodic spitting noises but it was never an issue we worried about when it was just irrigation.

The showers however go momentarily hotter or colder when the spitting occurs so it's something I'd like to remedy if it's not too involved or expensive.

So what I need is a cunning and inventive way to remove air from a sealed and pressurised water system, a way that's ridiculously cheap, can be done using the very basic plumbing components we have available off the shelf in far flung Africa and can be installed by a plumbing muppet with zero plumbing tools or experience.

Yeah....not asking for much I know but God loves a tryer....so they say.:)

two options but whats your pressure of the pumps / coming out the taps at and flow rate?

The pressure of the borehole water system is regulated to around 3 bar with a PRV before it reaches the house. Flow rate varies, I'd guess when someone is using a shower or filling a sink it might be 15 l/min, if a toilet is flushed it might be 10l/min etc. I'd gusee max flow rate would be 25-30l/min but only for short periods.

The pressure of the borehole water system is regulated to around 3 bar with a PRV before it reaches the house. Flow rate varies, I'd guess when someone is using a shower or filling a sink it might be 15 l/min, if a toilet is flushed it might be 10l/min etc. I'd guess max flow rate would be 25-30l/min but only for short periods.

Thanks for the ideas, I do have a small fabrication workshop where we manufacture stainless steel enclosures so I can make something moderately complex if necessary. I'm not sure about fine machining of valve seats etc, my lathe is pretty large so that might be a problem.

I might be able to manufacture an electrical version with a solenoid valve operated by a small electrical float switch rather than a mechanical version.

think you will be hard to make an auto air vent, but you could make a stainless steel tube with a 3/4 tapping one end and the other end to suite your system

Do you think something like this might work?

Air Separator.jpg

yes but would go with 3/4 connections and some baffles internally

3/4" connections are no problem, I've got tank adaptors in stock even up to 4".

How would you suggest might be an effective internal baffle arrangement?

Would it be reasonable to assume that any air travelling inside the water pipe would be mostly at the top above the water or do you think it would be well mixed in with the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Having Fun With Some DIY Plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back