Search the forum,

Discuss Leak in customer house. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi what's the best advice in dealing with a leak in a customers house?

1. Stripped out bathroom suite, installed 1st fix shower pipes in stud wall.
2. Turned water on, cheeked all joints.
3. Show customer completed works. Happy with job and paid me
4. Get a phone call 3 days later saying there is a leak. I get him to discuss over the phone. He idtenifies it as the shower pipes, precisely the speed fit cap I've capped the end off with. Job done. Call me back later to say its not its the soldered elbow at the wall.
5. I arrange to go there a couple days later, call him on the day before no answer. Texts me in the middle night saying he has forgot to leave me a key. Can I come the following day?
6. The following day I get shingles confirmed and decided to take a few day off. He is now not happy.
7. After taking two days off, I make contact. He has now fixed my leak, cracked on with the job because he could not wait and sent me an estimated damage cost of £350.
8. Try to resolve over messages, he lift the water on while property was empty, no one went to house till 2 days after plumbing work was done etc
Now it's getting pretty heated.

To summarise, this is my first unhappy customer. I went self employed in May. I have insurance etc. He wanted the job done cheap as chips. He was plumbing in the kitchen sink to a 1st year level. One of his DIY moments could have caused this.

What is the correct procedure you experienced guys go through when this sort of things happened?

Cheers Ryan

To summarise, this is my first unhappy customer.
- I went self employed in May.
- I have insurance etc.
- He wanted the job done cheap as chips.
- He was plumbing in the kitchen sink to a 1st year level.

What is the correct procedure you experienced guys go through when this sort of things happened?

Cheers Ryan

Those point are all that really matters.
You're new to being self employed - be prepared for more of it.

If you want some advice from someone who has been in the game for almost 30 years.

You mentioned that he wants £350.00 from you for damages.
Even if my insurance excess was £500.00 I would put it through insurance.

Wipe you hands in regards to the job and customer, let the Insurance company deal with him.

And learn from the experience!!!!!

You offered to go back. Have been polite and he cancelled then got it fixed without giving you the chance to go back?

How's one of his diy moments going to cause one of your soldered joints to leak? It's ok getting defensive because your being pursued for money but at the end of the day it is your fault. You arranged to go back a few days later, in that time did you advise the customer to turn off the water? What was the hold up in going back (prior to shingles diagnosis)? I don't know about others on here, but if I get a call saying I've got a leak, I go that day.

As Craig has said if someone phones me up and says they have a leak on potentially my work I'm out there that day. Just to try and stop things from getting worse ceilings down etc.

Do you know what damage was caused? Have you got or has he sent photos of any damage or is it your word against his?

Personally I wouldnt get insurance involved for such a small amount as your insurance will go up loads next year.

The customer cancelled the appointment not him mate? It was a leak on his joint? As far as he was told. But never actually saw that. It might not have been and the custard might be trying to pull a fast one. Who knows?

The customer cancelled the appointment not him mate? It was a leak on his joint? As far as he was told. But never actually saw that. It might not have been and the custard might be trying to pull a fast one. Who knows?
Op said he arranged to go a couple of days later and that's when the customer forgot to leave the key. Why the initial delay? Would you leave a customer a couple days with a leak you've caused?

Op said he arranged to go a couple of days later and that's when the customer forgot to leave the key. Why the initial delay? Would you leave a customer a couple days with a leak you've caused?

Could be the customer delaying? If it were me I would like to go out same day, but you don’t know the customers circumstances. Op mentioned the house was empty. There’s also no proof it’s his fault, Circumstantial if you ask me. o_O

Could be the customer delaying? If it were me I would like to go out same day, but you don’t know the customers circumstances. Op mentioned the house was empty. There’s also no proof it’s his fault, Circumstantial if you ask me. o_O
Could be the customer delaying, which is why I asked him what the delay was rather than jump to conclusions. I would also agree that I would want eyes on sight to prove whether the leak was mine or not before accepting responsibility for the damage.

Could be the customer delaying, which is why I asked him what the delay was rather than jump to conclusions. I would also agree that I would want eyes on sight to prove whether the leak was mine or not before accepting responsibility for the damage.

Totally agree, no agree button yet and post has to be longer than 5 words.

I cannot believe nobody thought to turn the water off. I would want proof that I was responsible for the leak before going any further. Your insurance company will be asking for the same if you do decide to go down that route

I'd give him 350, smile and walk away, your reputation is worth more than 350. You need to learn (very quickly ) which jobs and customers to walk away from. Spend the time you're not on the tools doing the books, advertising, leafleting etc. Keep your chin up, keep doing good work at a reasonable price and it'll all come good.

That’s the wonderful world of the self employed, put it down to experience and get on with the rest of your jobs.
FWIW, if a customer reports a leak on a job I’ve done or am halfway through, I insist on going to look there and then.... next time though eh :)

Fortunately I have never had this sort of problem. I have had a few leaks in my 40 years, but managed to get back quickly enough to sort them out to the client's satisfaction.
This sounds to me like the client who is obviously upset about the situation, should not have gone ahead and made the repair himself, expecting to be paid for it. This sort of disagreement will never be solved to the satisfaction of all concerned.
In the end if it were to go to court, it would come down to the wonderful word "reasonable". You gave him the opportunity of a time to repair, you were also unwell, therefore unavailable later, is that unreasonable? Did the leak leave him without water in the house? if so, a judge would probably decide you did not attend soon enough, if on the other hand, he still had water elsewhere and was able to isolate the leak, then they would probably judge that you acted reasonably.
Even if you just couldn't attend because of other commitments, he would have needed to inform you that if you did not attend, that he would go elsewhere and invoice you for any reasonable charges made. I would go with the reasonable opportunity argument, and put it down to experience.
If you want to build-up a loyal customer base, you need to bend over backwards to keep clients happy. That said, there are some people out there, who no matter how well you do your job, will never be happy. It is difficult but you have to just suck it up sometimes and move on.

Totally agree, no agree button yet and post has to be longer than 5 words.
Yep, I noticed that. If I’m grumpy, I maybe can’t be arsed to type five words. Another thing that needs to be addressed :)

Firstly, a punter wanting a job as cheap as chips is no surprise. I have never gone to a garage and said "fix my car, I don't care what yo bill me" !
Never let the punter dictate terms - to a CAC customer, just say that "I need to charge x amount, and that is my quotation. feel free to look around". don't let their problems become YOUR problem. That said, I would wager that most of us found this aspect tough when starting out.

Secondly, these days one would expect him to have some video evidence of the leak. And perhaps you should have suggested it?

Thirdly, don't leave an alleged leak for 2 days -that is madness, IMO

Fourthly, where did £350 com from? Is that HIS time, or did he get someone else in? And were you supposed to return for further work?

You offered to go back. Have been polite and he cancelled then got it fixed without giving you the chance to go back?
On the day he called to say there was a leak it was a Friday. I was scheduled to go back on the Tuesday. It was on the Wednesday I cancel.

Yeah I contacted him last night after last speaking on Wednesday. He said he's fixed it himself but now the showers pipes are too short. I can only imagine cut the soldered elbow off and most likely used compression.

How's one of his diy moments going to cause one of your soldered joints to leak? It's ok getting defensive because your being pursued for money but at the end of the day it is your fault. You arranged to go back a few days later, in that time did you advise the customer to turn off the water? What was the hold up in going back (prior to shingles diagnosis)? I don't know about others on here, but if I get a call saying I've got a leak, I go that day.
Yeah advised customer to turn off water. His damages are... In his words

Cabinet door £30
Cabinet £30
Gloss £22
Lino £182
Plwood £94

All damage is in kitchen.

I know what you are saying about it being my leak and definitely need to be more proactive in attending. Thanks

He was fine, house was empty. It was on a Friday leak discovered, I was scheduled to go back on Tuesday. Water was off

upto you but you have two choices use your insurance or pay

as its your fault you dont have much to stand on

That’s the wonderful world of the self employed, put it down to experience and get on with the rest of your jobs.
FWIW, if a customer reports a leak on a job I’ve done or am halfway through, I insist on going to look there and then.. next time though eh :)
Yeah lesson learned cheers mate

Okay looking like I'm going to havet
Firstly, a punter wanting a job as cheap as chips is no surprise. I have never gone to a garage and said "fix my car, I don't care what yo bill me" !
Never let the punter dictate terms - to a CAC customer, just say that "I need to charge x amount, and that is my quotation. feel free to look around". don't let their problems become YOUR problem. That said, I would wager that most of us found this aspect tough when starting out.

Secondly, these days one would expect him to have some video evidence of the leak. And perhaps you should have suggested it?

Thirdly, don't leave an alleged leak for 2 days -that is madness, IMO

Fourthly, where did £350 com from? Is that HIS time, or did he get someone else in? And were you supposed to return for further work?

Leak was left for 2 days as he never went to the property. Water was turned off until I was scheduled to return.

Yes a bathroom suite and boiler serve.

It’s sounding like you are at fault luckily it’s only £350 it could have been a lot worse. We’ve all been there it’s your reputation and pride that takes the biggest blow.
Pay the £350 dust yourself off and move on
Lesson learnt here

Plasterer was in on the F
It’s sounding like you are at fault luckily it’s only £350 it could have been a lot worse. We’ve all been there it’s your reputation and pride that takes the biggest blow.
Pay the £350 dust yourself off and move on
Lesson learnt here
Was is the lesson though, in terms of soldered joints holding then failing a day later. He called my work sub par, but was happy inspecting and happy to pay.

Have you been to have a look at the damage and cause?
Get some pictures for your insurance company etc

Have you been to have a look at the damage and cause?
Get some pictures for your insurance company etc
Not yet, this all started last night when I messaged last to say I could come tomorrow and could he leave a key. I have asked if he has fixed the leak does he have the part and pictures/video. No reply yet.

Has he paid you for the work done and what was the job value?
Or does he want it for free and £350 for his troubles.

Has he paid you for the work done and what was the job value?
Or does he want it for free and £350 for his troubles.
Yes he has paid me £140 and £60 for materials. Job value was a bathroom suite and boiler service

I know this isn't about pricing but is that £140 for 1st fixing a bathroom suite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak in customer house. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock