Discuss Hanging heavy rad on plasterboard wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any kind of fixings in a stud wall will deteriorate over time, in my opinion you need to remove some board and batten where the fixings are going as mentioned above.
I knocked a rad off a stud wall at my mates house earlier this year, it didn't take much to do it.

you can still use those umbrella fixings without the setting tool . they have some prongs at the back which dig into the plasterboard to stop it from rotating ,if you keep it pushed in and screw it in clockwise it does the same job as the tool, you then have to take the screw back out put the bracket on and screw it back in.

Whenever I have to use the umbrella fixings I always drill the board first to make sure that the inside of the board is not pushed out whilst pushing the fixing into place. I also put the screw through the rad bracket first then screw it all up in one go. Having the bracket in place at first helps stop the fixing from turning.
I used to have a couple of those ratchet puller things for the fixings but like most really handy things they grew legs somehow and went for a walk!!

i would put some timber in if possible, if not use spring or umbrella fixings.

Umbrella fixings will be fine. You can often use the copper pipe, when bent properly, to take a bit of weight.

But what if the op has metal studs or that corrugated cardboard walls.....???

But what if the op has metal studs or that corrugated cardboard walls.....???
i had this Thursday week ago and fitted 35kw boiler .... i predrilled the wall about 20 times and got where the steels are and used a ply bored and screw than to the studs and i promise you that would not come off

Straw packed walls are the worst! Have an estate full nearby, hanging a 42 cdi was fun...

i alwayscut out the plasterboard and fit ply behnd the board and refix the plasterboard never hada problem never use hollow board fixings as they will always come off at some point

As you are tiling then open it up and timber it out. If you can't do that and not tiling then I fasten a 12" high piece of ply into the studs and then fasten rad brackets to this. Size it right and you can't see it, plus if needed a coat of emulsion over the top.

its easier to cut out a 4" sq behind the rad and fit a plywood pad and repair takes me an extra 15 mins 100% better job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hanging heavy rad on plasterboard wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back