Search the forum,

Discuss Grundfos Alpha2L issue in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Good afternoon we have recently had a grundfos alpha2L 15-60 130 pump fitted to our central heating system and we're experiencing an issue.
Once the pump is on its working fine but for the first "cycle" in the morning the "Power on" light comes on but the pump doesn't start. I have to then disconnect the mains from the pump and plug it back in and it then kicks in and the pump starts to work fine!!!.
It works okay all day coming on and off at varied prolonged intervals.
Any ideas or help much appreciated.
Thanks Wayne

From the manual..... Power On indicated but pump not running.....Check power supply voltage is within specifications Or Pump Blocked.

If the pump displayes the power watts, W, what is the reading and pump mode/setting when it is running?

Hard to see the voltage being the problem since the pump runs OK after "resetting" If you have a multimeter you could just check the voltage now (while running) at the cable terminals. I think the most likely problem is the pump itself, you could also try and monitor the voltage at start up in the morning.
What setting is the pump on now?.

Would the voltage still be an issue if it runs perfectly after we have turned the power off and on, it's confusing?.
It doesn't have a W display but how would Iho
Hard to see the voltage being the problem since the pump runs OK after "resetting" If you have a multimeter you could just check the voltage now (while running) at the cable terminals. I think the most likely problem is the pump itself, you could also try and monitor the voltage at start up in the morning.
What setting is the pump on now?.
We have tried two settings, the single bar on the left and currently the middle bar on the right.

This is how it's running at the minute.
20230216_170916.jpg

I think that setting is (constant pressure) CP1, a constant 3M head which is a pretty good choice if all rads are hot.
However that should have no effect on your problem. No harm to open the plug and inspect the terminals as I think these are only spring loaded to grip the wires.

Are you sure the valves above and below are fully open ? The wiring of the pump plug needs attention aswell there shouldn't be any wiring showing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230217-063707~2.png
    Screenshot_20230217-063707~2.png
    940.2 KB · Views: 9
A number of videos I've watched on YouTube show the pump "upside down" with the waterflow arrow pointing down. I've checked mine and it's the opposite way around!.
Would this have anything to do with my problem and I've attached a photo of the set up to see what you expert's think.
Thanks again for all this help.
20230217_155723.jpg

The pump just comes assembled your way, pumping upwards, if you require it to pump downwards (like mine) you turn the pump 180 deg so as the arrow is pointing downwards and then just remove the 4 studs and turn the head through 180 degrees. Nothing to do with your problem.
As suggested check your harness wiring and probably no harm to shut the pump isolation valves, remove the 4 studs. remove the pump head and backflush the pump from both ends, inspect the impeller, clean with a tie wrap through the vanes if required, re assemble.

Reply to Grundfos Alpha2L issue in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock