Discuss FLUX in new system install - how to get rid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
what has probably happend is that after the 1st fix installation then the second fix the pipework has layed unused for a while (no water supply)and excessive flux has been left to degrade/oxidize. The pipework should have been flushed after the 1st fix and then flushed after the second fix. Excessive boss white use can also cause major problems with valves anf fixtures.

There have been cases with new builds where pipework had been left with debris inside for very long periods and major problems where encountered after water was finally connected needing complete repipes. im unsure without reading the water regs book but in these cases you need to decontaminate the pipework before commissioning of the system.

Must say I have never had that problem, I just leave the brush in the flux pot.

i drilled a hole in the lid of the flux for the brush to go in so the lid can be screwed back on to keep the flux clean, and as long as you keep buying the same flux you just swap lids when the tub is empty

I would say thats what we all do, I warm up a bit of copper pipe though, saves getting bits from the drill in the flux.

You warm up a bit of copper with your blow torch get the piece of plastic you want a hole in and push it through. Some do it on CWSCs but this isn't advisable as it does weaken the molecular structure of the plastic and cause it (in worst case scenario) to split. Also you have to then file off all the plastic that was pushed through and get it out. Best to just use one of those drill bits (The name has just slipped out my head, it'll come to me later, everyone will know what I mean) that has a guide bit then a circle bit with sharp teeth to cut a perfect hole in it :)

And what is the best brush to use? Most cheap brushes fall apart.

Well i use my finger. Have done for near 40 years and its still there.
Hate using brushes as it slaps too much on and i ain't got the time to play at being Picasso.

I get Rothengerger brushes from city plumbing, but as long as you dont do what i do( put some more flux to a soldered joint, to make the solder run again) they will last a while, the best ones are the ones with no metal holding the brush hair on as these rot away.

Well i use my finger. Have done for near 40 years and its still there.
Hate using brushes as it slaps too much on and i ain't got the time to play at being Picasso.

College used to go mad at me for using my finger, didn't do it again after picking up the stuff that cleans the pipe and fitting itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to FLUX in new system install - how to get rid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back