Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Flaval Regent gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. I don't normally deal with fires but one of the inlaws just called saying that the fire has been going out lately randomly. I said I can have a look at it.

Any advice on what might be the issue?

I don't think it's been serviced and I'm assuming it's an issue with the ODS. It's only a couple of years old. There's no scorch marks or signs of spillage as I was only there a week ago.

Should be in the gas forum macka
No answers on open forum re gas questions

Sorry I thought I put in the closed section. The arms you mean?

Yer I have the ticket I just haven't dealt with many faults on them since the course. And yes it will be free, unfortunately.

If it's not been service, then the hole under the pilot will be choked. I would service it first, then see if it needs parts

The fire is immaculate to be honest. She's ocd with the cleaning. You think it might need a new pipe for the pilot or just a service and possibly a new OSD.

Have you psychically checked that the osd is clear? If so the then new osd

push on connectors on T/C ods can play up on the gasvalve,i would replace the assembly,not easy to get at,IIRC correctly though regents in the front,dont see many of them
IMG_20151104_092547434[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
test the fire and then do full service, check catchment and flue etc..... its probably dust in the pilot/oxy bit but it could be the flue system.

also get her a co alarm.

I haven't checked anything yet as I can't get there till tomorrow night. So I'll only be doing a visual and a spillage test. Then I'll have time on Wednesday to look at it properly.

I had one of these. Im sure of it. Had a different issue tho.
Burner pressure and everything else fine. But had flame lift off a ~1/3rd of the burner farthest away from injector. Everywhere else stable and fine.
Had to knock it off..

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of these. Im sure of it. Had a different issue tho.
Burner pressure and everything else fine. But had flame lift off a ~1/3rd of the burner farthest away from injector. Everywhere else stable and fine.
Had to knock it off..

if its the burner in my pic,injector needs to be dead inline,they can turn slightly

Would grahams stock this or would I need to call manufacturer.

Would grahams stock this or would I need to call manufacturer.

BFM spares,they will give you the part number,just sorse it from your supplier,they wont sell direct to you,different for me i work for them as a subbie 01782339034

Hi lads. Popped over there tonight for a quick visual and carry out a spillage test. Both spillage tests failed so I left it isolated. I noticed one of the radiants was different to the other 3 and she happened to say she had them replaced a while back cos the last set was black? Do you guys try to get an analyser reading when servicing these fires? I took a few photos just to get some opinions or tips really. It does say in the book the ODS should be changed annually but it didn't go out once in the time I was there?
5d4b9c52aad71104df5f72032f6cb9d4.jpg
c7cf5a76e2222cfa34a96f78f538596c.jpg

Do not use your analyser on anything but a flueless fire!!
Did you carry out spill as per MI's?
You check chimney? Flue flow etc?
Is the different radiant possibly not even for this fire?
A lot to be concerned with here!

The radiant was ordered from Flavel via the spares page at the back. Spill was done to MIs. Smoke was coming out the diverter. I said I would carry out a service for her and replace the ODS as it supposed to be done annually anyway. As I previously mentioned I have really dealt with fires which is why I'm questioning things. The blue flames coming out the top of the radiants concerned me.

Typical I just called grahams and there telling me it's an obsolete part.

Cheers. Managed to get one hopefully for tomorrow.
Any advice on why the flames are coming out the top of the radiants like the picture above please?

Cheers. Managed to get one hopefully for tomorrow.
Any advice on why the flames are coming out the top of the radiants like the picture above please?

normal on some but dont see many of those,check with technical

Ok ta. Well I'll be checking gas inlet pressure and cleaning the burner and making sure the chimney is clear. Hopefully that'll do.

Flames overshooting the radiants is often excessive flue pull, check if restrictor in plce (for 9x9). However that does not tie in with failed spillage test, did you leave fire runnig for the max 15 minutes?
Overgassing could result in spillage and overshooting of flames.
IMO a new ods is a wate of money - you sopuld have sorted other problems first (assuming fire not cutting out). Having to change ODS on a service for "free" warranty is scandalous - they rarely fail. I beleive they make the stipulation so that few extended warranties are actually valid for long. Evan Faecal Point have droped the requirement

Flames overshooting the radiants is often excessive flue pull, check if restrictor in plce (for 9x9). However that does not tie in with failed spillage test, did you leave fire runnig for the max 15 minutes?
IMO a new ods is a wate of money - you sopuld have sorted other problems first (assuming fire not cutting out). Having to change ODS on a service for "free" warranty is scandalous - they rarely fail. I beleive they make the stipulation so that few extended warranties are actually valid for long. Evan Faecal Point have droped the requirement

they do stipulate ods gets replaced,some are not expensive though and in defense of BFM,they do pay out quite a bit in warranty repairs and cover everything on the appliance,some warrantys run up to 10 years

The fire has been cutting out intermittently. I didn't wanna pull the fire out and check the flue and catchment space without having a new ODS to hand as that's what the MIs state should be changed annually.
I did allow the fire to heat up before carrying out the spill test.
If the gas pressure is fine and flue is clear what is the best method to prevent the flames coming out the top of the radiants? If it was excessive flue pull surely the spill test would of passed??
I appreciate any advice.

The fire has been cutting out intermittently. I didn't wanna pull the fire out and check the flue and catchment space without having a new ODS to hand as that's what the MIs state should be changed annually.
I did allow the fire to heat up before carrying out the spill test.
If the gas pressure is fine and flue is clear what is the best method to prevent the flames coming out the top of the radiants? If it was excessive flue pull surely the spill test would of passed??
I appreciate any advice.
That is the first thing you should be doing in my opinion. Especially if indications of excessive flame lift etc.
You need be sure the catchment/chimney is sound and sealed and closure plate fully sealed.
No point in replacing ODS if you could be possibly condemning the fire.

The reason I didn't pull the fire out was due to not being able to on the night I went there. I did previously say this. So the appliance is isolated. As it states in the MIs to replace the OSD annually, I didn't want to start a service and not be able to do it properly.
Hence putting up this post for any advice and tips.

Would you personally turn up without the parts required to actually do the service fully?

This is what I've found so far.
71a94b5d52f39615140315f75e68e005.jpg
7ea6f39c60e81a0fe4b8b613f3472068.jpg

2146f6276fda9848df97c875114ae326.jpg

The 2nd and 3rd photo are left and right of the opening.

That's what I was getting at macka. Personally I would not obtain parts until I know the appliance is safe to remain on when parts are replaced! What is the point?

Fire not safe to remain on until catchment has some major work to seal up and make safe!
By looks of it, that's what causing the excessive flue pull and drawing flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flaval Regent gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock