Discuss Fitting combi to a converted shipping container in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

on31ll

As the title says is it allowed ? I have a friend who rents out a few shipping containers and he uses two of them as an office etc ! He asked if hes allowed to get a combi fitted in one ? For water and heating ? I told him about amptec electric boilers etc but to do that it would cost him alot to replace and relay the armpured cables for this and gas is cheaper ? So can it be done ? Cheers

Never came across fitting anything except a toilet block in a container but if he needs heating why not. Of course it is allowed but what are the regs to comply with? Presumably it will be LPG because i can't see him getting a permanent supply to a container so there is that to consider. It may also be classed as a mobile home? I don't know. It depends i suppose on your interpretation of mobile. Dump a few cube of concrete around it and it is going nowhere!
Best bet would be to ring gas safe but i doubt they will give a clear answer to this one so you just play it as it comes..

I reckon the best bet would be to treat it as if it's a mobile home which means he'll need someone with the LPG LAV qualification to do the work.

I don't think it's a mobile home unless it's got wheels.
It'll probably be treated the same as those modular park homes.
If that's the case then an LPG ticked will be sufficient.
As suggested a call to gas safe should answer this question.

If it is fed from a gas bottle via non-permanent (i.e. rubber) tubing then strange as it may seem it is actually not covered by gas safe at all. HOWEVER the fact that he uses the container as a place of work means that H&SE will take an interest and want the place to be properly covered by an install from someone with an LPG ticket. Got the teashirt on this one from working with temporary kitchens in marquees and having arguments with H&SE.

Wont be classed as a mobile home, (No axel) weather you get any sence from GS ?? Would have thought it would be OK just need to think about where flue may discharge, and siteing gas bottle's

I don't think it's a mobile home unless it's got wheels.
It'll probably be treated the same as those modular park homes.
If that's the case then an LPG ticked will be sufficient.
As suggested a call to gas safe should answer this question.

I'm about to fit a system in a log cabin which is classed as a mobile home despite having no wheels. It's a get around the planning regs but because it is designed to be split in two it counts as a mobile home. Strikes me as a bit of a loophole but because of this I am treating it as though it were a mobile home for gas purposes.

Because a container can be lifted and put elsewhere I would be inclined to treat it the same.

I agree with gpbeck, cellotex and plasterboard the inside and use a 3kw electric heater, would work out a lot cheaper and feel more homely as well!

The containers are already pre fabbed ! Theres a row of containers then woth 2 containers stacked two high and he uses the top two ! It has a doorway cut through to the other ! So hes asking on the ideas before he gets a quote etc ! He likes the idea of the boiler because its cheaper ! But wpuld u suggest using natural gas using MDPE to the container or using bottled LPG ? Cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting combi to a converted shipping container in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock