Search the forum,

Discuss Final Drain Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

radie

Hi, looking for some advice in relation to final drain testing, it's been a bit of a saga...

So, essentially I've been doing a self build over the last few years, no main contractor, but doing what we can ourselves (some trades in family) and bringing people in - mostly friends etc to do specific jobs.

This resulted in some of the underground drainage being done by the groundworkers who did our foundations, some of it done ourselves, and some done by the plumber who did most of our internal works.

We are now at the end of the project and building control want what they term "a final drain test" before they can issue completion certificate - this is literally the last thing needed for completion so you can understand i'm keen to get it resolved.

Building control had previously indicated a random test of a number of sections would be sufficient - I had them out recently and using the u-gauge kit i bought successfully showed tests of a number of underground sections. I was under the impression the bit they were concerned about was the underground sections in case there was a leak which could have serious consequences for subsidence and pollution, but that seems to not be the case.

They have now said however that what they need is a "final drain test" of the main stack. They talked about pressurising to 50mm on the gauge - not 100mm as I have seen documented elsewhere.

I wasn't able to successfully test this with the bungs I had so I've purchased a horobin pvc inflatable balloon. I initially thought the results with this were slightly better, but it doesnt look like it and it appears the main stack is not holding pressure.

This run has a WC, shower, bath and sink on it, and a trapped rainwater feeds into it as well. There is an AAV at the top of the stack (internal, and not easily accessible (yes, I know, this was an oversight).

Someone mentioned that shallow bath traps are not good for this type of test, but I'm not sure if this is the case?

Building control suggested getting a plumber who is familiar with tests they want on-site to help set it up, and run the tests as they "know all the tricks".

So, my 3 options appear to be
- continue trying to get this to work myself - not being particularly successful so far
- get a plumber to setup the tests, ensure a pass then have building control witness this
- get a SNIPEF registered plumber to test and sign off - in lieu of BC witnessing

I've called a few SNIPEF registered companies, but most don't want to do the testing and the one or two I've managed to have a discussion with have said they would not sign off as they did not do the work - which I can understand.

Does anyone have any advice, or is located in central scotland and willing to assist?

From what I've read online it seems that every council and even every BC officer have different views on what they will accept and how testing should be done.

Is there any easier way to do a water test that they may accept? What is the official standard position on testing?

Thanks

FYI, the property has been lived in for some time now and the drains in use for the best part of a year with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Final Drain Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock