Search the forum,

Discuss Filling loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ma701ss

Hi, anyone familiar with the Ideal Logic boilers? I've had one fitted and on the filling loop the manual shows a largish, round plastic cap and has "cap" pointing to it (see below). On mine however it's a tightened metal screw. This is for an air vent? Have they changed the design since the manual was printed? I explained it to the installer over the phone and he said it's OK but I think he misunderstood what I was referring to.

IMG_0891.jpgIMG_0892.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 76
The screw is where the double check valve is located, to prevent back flow of the heating system water back into the water main and contaminating it.
I've never seen a cap on one! So doubt anything is missing
What is the issue?
Are you fiddling with it?

The cap is on a little plastic clip, in the position it is in is where it is stored when not in use.

The filling loop on all boilers should technically be disconnected when not in use, the cap would then be on the end of the pipe to stop any accidental leaks.

It's fine where it is.

If your loop is still in situ, ideal would probably write a warning notice out

That's what I was afraid of, a little thing like that voiding the warranty if they come out. Here is a photo of a clip and rubber ring which seems to fit into the top of the clip (threaded end) snugly. No idea what it is though, was just left on the worktop after the install.

IMG_0894.jpg

That's what I was afraid of, a little thing like that voiding the warranty if they come out. Here is a photo of a clip and rubber ring which seems to fit into the top of the clip (threaded end) snugly. No idea what it is though, was just left on the worktop after the install.

View attachment 28020

It was on when you fitted it ;)

Put in recycling let some archeologist decide its a religious artefact in 2000 years time!

:) Seriously though, no idea what it is? Stoney Ground seems to have an idea?

:) Seriously though, no idea what it is? Stoney Ground seems to have an idea?

I found a clearer photo of what it's for in a different Ideal boiler manual, for a slightly different model. All clear now.

On a slightly related subject regarding the filling loop, my boiler is losing pressure daily. No water on the floor beneath the relief valve, no apparent leaks on the CH pipework, but I can hear water running through the condensate pipe every few minutes when the heating is on, is that normal?

I found a clearer photo of what it's for in a different Ideal boiler manual, for a slightly different model. All clear now.

On a slightly related subject regarding the filling loop, my boiler is losing pressure daily. No water on the floor beneath the relief valve, no apparent leaks on the CH pipework, but I can hear water running through the condensate pipe every few minutes when the heating is on, is that normal?

It should have water running through the condense as it is working.

If it losing pressure then must be a small leak somewhere on the system.

It should have water running through the condense as it is working.

If it losing pressure then must be a small leak somewhere on the system.

I'm presuming there may have always been a leak on the old CH pipework for years but because the system had a header tank it just topped itself up. Could a small drip every few minutes from the a leaking pipe be enough for a pressure drop of 0.5-1 bar over a few days?

Could a small drip every few minutes from the a leaking pipe be enough for a pressure drop of 0.5-1 bar over a few days?

It's possible. Have a really good look at all exposed pipework. Look at radiator valves where they connect to the radiator, and where the pipe is connected. A small weep from those joints would evaporate off, making it hard to spot a leak.

It's possible. Have a really good look at all exposed pipework. Look at radiator valves where they connect to the radiator, and where the pipe is connected. A small weep from those joints would evaporate off, making it hard to spot a leak.

OK will have a good look tomorrow. It is only the CH the pressure relates to right, not the hot water also?

OK will have a good look tomorrow. It is only the CH the pressure relates to right, not the hot water also?

The pressure relates to the primary circuit - the boiler, radiators and all associated pipework. The water in the primary circuit is heated, and transfers heat to cold mains water to give you your hot water. So it does kind of relate to the hot water side of things, although not to the water coming out of your hot tap.

I also would check the air vents. Some older type of rads like to leak from those air vent / screws, so just keep an eye out as massood said above for any sort of weep.

You may can have a look if your expansion pipe which is leading safely to the outside is leaking if so that will be your answer of loosing pressure too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also would check the air vents. Some older type of rads like to leak from those air vent / screws, so just keep an eye out as massood said above for any sort of weep.

You may can have a look if your expansion pipe which is leading safely to the outside is leaking if so that will be your answer of loosing pressure too.

Thanks for all the replies. I found the old kitchen rad last night was leaking around one valve, not dripping on the floor but wet to the touch. I'm going to replace the whole rad, as all others are new, may as well instead of just just changing the valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Filling loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock