Currently reading:
Extension radiators are only warm at the top

Discuss Extension radiators are only warm at the top in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TLT2010

Hello

We have just had an extension built on the back of our house - 3m by 6m. Two new radiators have been installed but only get luke warm at the top of them. Our builder is now suggesting that our boiler isn't big/powerful enough to have two extra radiators on the system. They are now saying that we need a new boiler, which they will fit at cost. Alarm bells are ringing in my head. I feel if what they are saying is true then surely they would/should have known this before adding two extra radiators to a system? Who is responsible for replacing the boiler if this is the course of action? really worried as I know nothing about this sort of thing and neither does my husband.
Thanks in advance!

What boiler have you currently got and how many radiators are on the system?
Where did they tee into system for new rads? Have the new rads got own supply or are they fed from another rads pipes?

without the answers to the questions already asked in post two it would be impossible to say.
however it does seem likely that it is a case of to many rads on same pipe or a balancing issue.
if the new radiators would have meant a new boiler was needed that should have been mentioned to you and discussed at the planning stage.

ps- welcome to the forum.

Basic stuff from father xmas - has anybody tried re-balancing the c/h system since
the new addition. Its worth spending a good while at this instead of buying new kit.

If you dont know how to do this properly- just ask someone on here who will tell u

Im off to unblock a drain as all my fellas are out

centralheatking

very unlikly you need a new boiler undersized boiler would show as a decrease in heat on all rads
the real clue is when you said your builder added the rads chances are he hasnt got his pipe sizing rihght or in the wrong place to connect

What boiler have you currently got and how many radiators are on the system?
Where did they tee into system for new rads? Have the new rads got own supply or are they fed from another rads pipes?

Hi,

we currently have a Potterton Suprima boiler, which had 10 single and 1 double rad on the existing system,
we have added 2 double rads which are the problem rads that don't heat up (aside from getting lukewarm at the top).
They tee'd onto the old system literally on the existing pipes. On of the new rads is literally the opposite side of the wall from one on the existing system and they have been tee'd to that. Therefore they are fed from the existing pipes.

There does not appear to be any detriment to the 'old system' however the two new rads don't heat up at all.

The builders are suggesting a new boiler is needed, but clearly we want to avoid this cost if we can!

Not sure whether anyone has tried re-balancing the system or not....very happy to try that if it might mean I don't need to shell out for a new boiler.

Can anyone tell me how to do it????

very unlikly you need a new boiler undersized boiler would show as a decrease in heat on all rads
the real clue is when you said your builder added the rads chances are he hasnt got his pipe sizing rihght or in the wrong place to connect

Is there any way of confirming if this is the case?....... clearly I will get them to do the work if I can evidence what's happened

It might be worth posting a few images of the existing and new install pipework, this might give us a clearer understanding of the layout and any issues there.

To keep it simple try switching off 4 rads of similar size (4 = 2 doubles).

Builders tend to price a job to the specification / instructions supplied by the client, if you have one quote say £2,000.00 dearer than the rest chances are the builder who added the cost of a new boiler maybe with heating controls has just put himself out of the running to get the job.

Also some builders use the information they get from their plumber who may or may not be be looking in all the right places for the solution.

It might be worth posting a few images of the existing and new install pipework, this might give us a clearer understanding of the layout and any issues there.

Here is the existing system, the new rad are tee'd in behind the plaster work IMG_6719.jpg

This is the other side of the wall and the first new rad, the second new one is daisy chained from this oneIMG_6720.jpg

Let me know if you need anything else to help assess what the issue may be

Before you get a new boiler you need to get a decent plumber in to pipe the rads properly.

Builders botched it, it's only a circulation issue, definitely do not need a new boiler. Get a 'real' plumber in to sort it.

Is that 10mm microbore from 15mm source?

I remember the builder having a good old moan about fitting microbore and it being a "funny" size, which made it harder to fit. When I say builder - he seems to be a Jack of all trades and master of none! From what we know the piping is the same size.

Thank you to everyone who is posting trying to help us!!

Really annoyed as we believed when quoted for the extension that we would have qualified professionals working on the build. At no point did they mention it would be the guy who seems to do all the "bits and pieces"

Tell the builder you're getting your own plumber it to resolve and take this cost out of the final payment along with a couple of hundred for your time.

you learn everyday. next time you will pay more attention to who you employ :)
I guess trust is something you can't do these days - this is the first time we've had any building work done and we truly believed that professionals would be used. But as you say you live and learn!

A builder shouldn't be commenting on heating, - he should just be using a decent engineer to do any plumbing work. Never trust a builder to do plumbing.

Can we do this?

If he doesn't fix it, of course you can. Why should you be landed with researching it on the Net when you've parted with your hard earned in good faith. Get the plumber to write a report for you also. We do it all the time for dissatisfied customers of builders.

i agree with the others.

i would suggest the pipework is incorrectly sized and its been installed poorly with those loops of pipe below the rad. Get your own professional in to sort it out and deduct the cost from the bill.

I guess trust is something you can't do these days - this is the first time we've had any building work done and we truly believed that professionals would be used. But as you say you live and learn!

Check the find a tradesman thread on this site there may be plumber stroke/heating engineer near to you who could help.

Whereabouts in the country are you TLT? If you post a request in this sub forum here (it's our I'm looking for a plumber' section) including a rough location and including a link to this thread then perhaps one of us may be local to you.

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Extension radiators are only warm at the top in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock