Search the forum,

Discuss Dropping pressure gauge in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve looked through the answers but I’ve not seen a solution to my problem. My pressure gauge drops overnight 1.75 bar to zero. No visible leaks any where …valves..connections pressure release valves etc. All radiators heating correctly and no air in rads. Circulation pump has no sounds of air gushing inside. automatic air vent close bye the boiler working normally no leaks no signs of water releasing. To re pressurise the system it literally takes a quick flick of the filling valve to get to the correct working pressure. Over the last couple of weeks I put two cans of tec7 sealer into the system. But no good. If I leave the circulating pump running without the boiler running the pressure remains constant.
Please does anyone have anything else to try

Yes, stick a bag or bottle over the pressure relief valve discharge outside. Will confirm an easy fix.
Thank you I’ll try that, I have sealed system With only have a prv and doesn’t seem to have any leaks. It’s the fact the pressure stays up and remains constant with the pump running and the burner off. That’s the puzzling thing.
At night with the heating running pressure is constant but drops to zero when I look in the morning.
Thank you

Thank you I’ll try that, I have sealed system With only have a prv and doesn’t seem to have any leaks. It’s the fact the pressure stays up and remains constant with the pump running and the burner off. That’s the puzzling thing.
At night with the heating running pressure is constant but drops to zero when I look in the morning.
To me, the symptoms you describe suggest an empty, failed or failing expansion vessel. Your observation:

"To re pressurise the system it literally takes a quick flick of the filling valve to get to the correct working pressure."

is the clue here. If you know what you are doing, as temporary test/fix you can bleed a couple of litres of air into a radiator to see if it helps.

To me, the symptoms you describe suggest an empty, failed or failing expansion vessel. Your observation:

"To re pressurise the system it literally takes a quick flick of the filling valve to get to the correct working pressure."

is the clue here. If you know what you are doing, as temporary test/fix you can bleed a couple of litres of air into a radiator to see if it helps.
Thank you for that. I guess just let off a few litres out of the system with the bleed screw open. The pressure vessel is about two years old. It’s not like a pressure vessel that you can pump to pressurise. You can’t see much but I enclose a photo of the tank. May I ask if it’s just the expansion tank where does the drop in pressure go. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 2F8E9424-C990-4032-9F9B-47C965CD5188.jpeg
    2F8E9424-C990-4032-9F9B-47C965CD5188.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 7
T'other end, there'll be a Schrader valve. But need to dump pressure to get a true reading.
I’ll certainly give it go. I can just about see a blue cap on the other end. I’ll remove the pipe in the picture and I’ll be able to get to it. But if the heating system is sealed with no leaks if the water is passing throu the internal diaphragm would the pressure not stay roughly the same as seen on gauge?? Thanks Simon

Reply to Dropping pressure gauge in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock