Currently reading:
do you power flush before a boiler change ?

Discuss do you power flush before a boiler change ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destroyer2813

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Do you guys powerflush before every boiler swap or only if the systems really dirty and manuel flush with a normal cleaner and not to dirty, as manufacures insructions state it just has to be cleaned not powerflushed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys powerflush before every boiler swap or only if the systems really dirty and manuel flush with a normal cleaner and not to dirty, as manufacures insructions state it just has to be cleaned not powerflushed.
powerflushed is best before or after

Generally drop in a week or so before the install to put some cleaner in the system and then go from there.

Depends what customer is paying for...I always suggest a powerflush but do give them the option, of flush with cleaner and drain, or a powerflush, it puts a day on the job and the cost of cleaner and hire of flush machine so You can add 300 onto it for a powerflush

I just flush the system with sludge remover, maybe do each radiator at a time with the mains if good pressure, never done a powerflush before, i mostly do combi swaps so the systems arent that bad as they are sealed, and we don't have hard water problems as i heard that can be worse for the system, could someone verify that last part for me ?

Don't know about hard water, it's all soft around here but have a few customers that have spring water supplies or bore holes and the water gets quite peaty, which can be a nightmare. One customer with an oil combi still won't bite the bullet and invest in a decent filter system, yet doesn't mind coughing up for a plate heat exchanger every 18 months.

have power flushed a few combi upgrades on contracts and can honestly say that it was a waste of time and expense water came out the drain clean as a whistle or slight tan colour at worst ,ii only suggest power flush if its a cylinder in and going for combi upgrade and then prob wouldn't bother as find custs wont pay the extra . Get for what you pay for am afraid.

hard water isnt a poblem on the heating side of things as the water is seldom changed but can scale up the hot water side of heat exchangers im in london where the water is medium hard and to be honest even without a scale reducer ive got boilers 10 years old that are fine

Hehe Loooooove it! Clean to many systems out properly means I'm out of a job!! LOL

Best invention has been the magnaclean or it's equivalent for changeovers... Full systems I'd recommend at the least post hot flush with, Was it x300? Can't remember as I rarely do installs these days!

Good to see that honesty prevails however:)

When I use to install I could never see the reason to spend so much time on something that seemed pointless! Many years later, when I got into trouble shooting sys design, a whole new vista opened regards corrosion etc.

I honestly think this power flush idea is brilliant because i know if i'm going against someone who is pricing a boiler upgrade including a powewr flush they aint getting it , chem clean , bioiler upgrade ,cash in the bank jobs a goodun !!!!

I would normaly always powerflush before a boiler change, often on a new system install. But then I have a power flush machine! I find is easy as on a boiler change I can cut the flow and returns, slap on the power flush, let it do it thing while I change the boiler, finish flush connect flow and return add inhibitor, jobs a gooden, all done in one easy visit!!

I don't remove and flush indervidualy, but do turn off all but one rad leave for a while, open up another, shut off the first, and so on till all rads have had at least half an hour flush each then let it run though all for the rest of the day, or if I feel that one is worse, ie the customer said that one never got very hot, I leave run though for longer, also reverse the flow to get the S**t moving. a large system does make for a long day though!!

Anyone ever had any problaems after they have powerflushed when filling system with valves etc??
Had a couple few years ago that where leaking when i filled back up damp carpets on a few valves ,cant say it went down very well .

This can be a problem, had where the glands leaked on a lock shield, but I alway tell the customer that there is a chance that it could leak after a powerflush as the crud that has blocked up old leaks could be cleaned away and leak starts again! save arguing with the customer later as they are aware that this coould happen, altough this can also happen when you drop in cleaner and leave for a while!!
Anyone ever had any problaems after they have powerflushed when filling system with valves etc??
Had a couple few years ago that where leaking when i filled back up damp carpets on a few valves ,cant say it went down very well .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to do you power flush before a boiler change ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock