Search the forum,

Discuss Disconnecting pipe work - advice needed in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Im renovating my bath room and where i removed the bidet, i now have an extra set of unused hot and cold pipes.
2 hot and 2 cold in total. need to disconnect one hot, 1 cold and need a bit of advice on how best to do it.

DSC_3613.JPG

DSC_3666.JPG

If i wanted to disconnect this set im thinking i could just disconnect the compression tee for the hot feed and replace that joint with a straight coupler?

Not sure what to do about the cold supply though, could I cut the pipe near the tee and fit a stop end?
I read somewhere that its not good to leave dead legs with water in them so not sure if this would be acceptable to cut as close to the tee as possible but leaving enough to fit a stop end

Heres the second set of pipes

DSC_3646.JPG

DSC_3649.JPG

the hot (marked red) comes off a tee fitted to the cylinder outlet pipe. could i cut the pipe near the tee and cap off or does the tee need de-soldering and replacing with a straight reducer?

The cold feed comes direct from the loft tank with nothing branching off it.

DSC_3668.JPG

if i disconnect the pipe from the tank, is there a suitable plug that can get to plug the hole in the tank? (would rather disconnect the pipe so as to avoid someone opening the stop valve in future) or could i use a stop end on the short section of pipe coming off the tank?

I only need to disconnect one hot and one cold but trying to work out which ones are easiest to do and the best way to do it.

If i wanted to disconnect this set im thinking i could just disconnect the compression tee for the hot feed and replace that joint with a straight coupler?
Yes, assuming the remaining pipework is not redundant.
Not sure what to do about the cold supply though, could I cut the pipe near the tee and fit a stop end?
I read somewhere that its not good to leave dead legs with water in them so not sure if this would be acceptable to cut as close to the tee as possible but leaving enough to fit a stop end
As close to the tee as possible is fine and meets the relevant legislation, assuming the rest of the pipework is not redundant.
the hot (marked red) comes off a tee fitted to the cylinder outlet pipe. could i cut the pipe near the tee and cap off or does the tee need de-soldering and replacing with a straight reducer?
Not sure what this has to do with your bidet, but if it's a branch off the expansion pipe you wish to remove, capping near the tee is fine. It's considered better to cut out the tee, but not essential.
if i disconnect the pipe from the tank, is there a suitable plug that can get to plug the hole in the tank? (would rather disconnect the pipe so as to avoid someone opening the stop valve in future) or could i use a stop end on the short section of pipe coming off the tank?
You could get a blanking disc for that (looks like) Conex compression fitting and use that instead of the pipe. A stop-end wouldn't be the end of the world either. Personally, I'd be tempted to fit a hose connector tap or full bore draw-off cock instead of a stop end that you can then use to drain down the cistern for its annual cleaning, seeing as you already have a hole.

Reply to Disconnecting pipe work - advice needed in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock