Currently reading:
couple of odd noises relating to toilet

Discuss couple of odd noises relating to toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wingers

Hi,

last few days I have been getting a couple of odd noises with my toilet

1) after it has flushed, and just before it is about to fill up cisten again I hear a loud clunk from loft and then it starts filling up as normal - doesn't do it everytime, but most

2) then while it is filling up (and strangely mainly evening/night) I then get an horrendous noise which is very hard to describe, but perhaps sounds like pipe vibrating or air in pipe? if I run cold tap in sink this then lessens for a while and stops completely once cisten refilled

Any thoughts please

Yes cold water tank. Go up there and locate it, get somebody to flush loo or open the ap, visually inspect it whilst it's operating, if it's having trouble closing down etc, you'll be able to see that. If your not one hundred percent take a photo and post it on here and somebody will help you. Best of luck

Hi,
Had a look this weekend and can't see anything moving in water tank when I flush loo? so am bit confused now

Have attached photos showing water tank suspended from roof in loft (assume this is where I am meant to be looking), and also photos showing inside the water tank

But flushing the toilet and letting it refill does not create any movement in this tank at all - so what is this tank for? or is something more serious wrong

Thanks

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom picture is worrying, is it supported by 2 pieces of copper tube bend around?
Should be supported on a well constructed platform ideally made from marine ply.

Could be water hammer or your faulty cold water float valve inside your toilet or on the tank itself.
Thats if your cold water system on your bathroom is supplyed from your CWSC (that cistern in picture)

yes it is supported by two piece of copper pipe screwed into roof beams and then stood on a bit of chipboard

when I flush toilet nothing happens in that water tank pictured - so I assume cold water is not being fed from that tank to the bathroom, it just doesn't seem to do anything - it has another pipe leading in from top of hot water tank - perhaps is this for overflow or something

Also the ballcock seems to be bent right down so only a small amount of water in this tank

Very hard for me to explain as simply don't understand what this tank is for

Can anyone describe or show in pictures what I need to be checking in cistern?

Also having been up in loft I am now not sure the bang noise I hear just before cistern refills is coming from there anyway - it could well be coming from pipework under bath -which is where cold water mains pipe comes into house from the ground

yes it is supported by two piece of copper pipe screwed into roof beams and then stood on a bit of chipboard

when I flush toilet nothing happens in that water tank pictured - so I assume cold water is not being fed from that tank to the bathroom, it just doesn't seem to do anything - it has another pipe leading in from top of hot water tank - perhaps is this for overflow or something

Also the ballcock seems to be bent right down so only a small amount of water in this tank

Very hard for me to explain as simply don't understand what this tank is for

Can anyone describe or show in pictures what I need to be checking in cistern?

Also having been up in loft I am now not sure the bang noise I hear just before cistern refills is coming from there anyway - it could well be coming from pipework under bath -which is where cold water mains pipe comes into house from the ground

The tank is your loft is supplying the hot water storage cylinder only then. I'd get that bath panel off and have looked if everything is clipped properly, if you can get the panel off you will know a bit more. Or maybe get a plumber in to have a look? Good luck

The tank is your loft is supplying the hot water storage cylinder only then. I'd get that bath panel off and have looked if everything is clipped properly, if you can get the panel off you will know a bit more. Or maybe get a plumber in to have a look? Good luck

I don't think it is. If you look behind it there appears to be a fortic cylinder. I wonder if this is the CH header tank.

Have taken bath panel off and had a look but can't see any reason for noise I hear and can't hear it with head under bath - but trouble is it doesn't do it everytime, seems more in evening and then I often get the horrible noise like air in pipe which I can only stop noise by running cold tap hard whilst loo is refilling

picture of under bath attached, can see three pipes heading towards bit behind loo/sink - one I assume is cold water supply pipe as very cold and dripping with condensation

5.jpg

just a thought - could my noise problem be anything to do with water pressure - as I do notice recently my cold water pressure is a lot higher, so could turning cold water main off a bit help?

Why don't you just go to screwfix and buy a bottom inlet valve? They'll know what you mean, fairly straightforward to swap over. Good luck

Why don't you just go to screwfix and buy a bottom inlet valve? They'll know what you mean, fairly straightforward to swap over. Good luck
thanks, now someone has told me what part to buy I will, just need to know where it is on the cistern and roughly how to fit it?

right the part you need to change is the part with the long arm and blue ball on it. you need to isolate the feed to the fill valve, empty the cistern and change the valves over.

thanks steve - I can see which part that replaces, but on my photo I seem to have a pipe going to the bit at the front - I assume the part from screwfix will connect to that somehow - apologies for sounding vague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to couple of odd noises relating to toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back