Discuss Conventional flue ventilation high/low level in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tiredguy

I have an upstairs flat, with a conventional flued boiler of about 14KW IIRC. Flue is taken into roofspace and then out through the roof.The boiler is in a cupboard on the landing, vented at high and lowlevel.Outside air was supplied through a vent at low level in an outside door directly off this landing, on the same side of the building as the flue.I have had the flat double-glazed so this vent no longer exists.(premises unoccupied and supply currently capped at meter atm)DG people have suggested a highlevel (over opening door) vent.Without giving specific advice, can anybody tell me if this would ever be acceptable please, or share outcome of any similar experience? Many thanks for any help you can give

Fit a new room sealed fan flue boiler, no need for any vents. Whats the point paying for double glazing to keep the warmth in, then put a vent in? If it's open flue it's probably a good few years old and not condensing. New boiler will cut bills and make flat more rentable/sellable. If you are renting it out I recall a law is coming in in a few years that forces landlords to replace any boilers below a certain efficiency so in time you may have to.

without seeing what you describe it is difficult to say with any certainty.
you need permanent ventilation, that much is certain.
best to get a gas engineer local to you to advise where the vent would be best positioned,
probably get the boiler serviced at the same time, or better still as suggested and upgrade.

Fitting a new Room sealed boiler will avoid any communication breakdown with regards to additional ventilation....;)

without seeing what you describe it is difficult to say with any certainty.you need permanent ventilation, that much is certain.best to get a gas engineer local to you to advise where the vent would be best positioned, probably get the boiler serviced at the same time, or better still as suggested and upgrade.
Agree allround, but looking for opinions as the local firms I've approached have not actually appeared - I suppose too low priority a job in the winter when there are people who need work done to keep warm.The boiler certainly isn't condensing or high efficiency - it's 35years old. I was advised to keep it if I could by managing agents as very reliable - and frankly I don't have any money so now it's this or sell the flat. I'll try again to get an engineer in, as if there's any possibility of getting it working safely that would be a huge plus as I could then rent the flat. A few months rental and I might be able to persuade Barclaycard to fund a new boiler which would make me feel a lot happier... Thank you everybody much appreciated.PS - am I the only one loosing a lot of keystrokes?

So thats why we are being asked to rip out all gas stuff and then they put in lecky stuff
- makes sense it also saves a landlord & tennants gas appliance check each year hmmm CHK
£5k fine for each inefficient boiler.

A vent of specific size and design can be fitted in various ways, as suggested get a local gas safe engineer in to look at the situation and give you specific advice,
Other advice on here about changing the boiler is one option, yes it will give you better efficiency but I'm not convinced about the long term savings, ask any engineer how old boilers are that they are changing ( it's good work for them but it costs the customer a fortune) but I do agree about getting it serviced and I also suggest you fit a decent CO alarm

Thanks again all. I'm encouraged! I will fit a proper co alarm if I can get it certified. I'll probably ask too about venting the cupboard via high & low vents to the roof, if only because they might be less likely to be blocked by somebody because of a draft..

On the efficiency front, I do wonder how much energy goes into making and fitting a new boiler...

Apologies if I seem to be slow responding - my posts have to be approved and even mods have to be "afk" sometimes.

Thanks again all. I'm encouraged! I will fit a proper co alarm if I can get it certified. I'll probably ask too about venting the cupboard via high & low vents to the roof, if only because they might be less likely to be blocked by somebody because of a draft.. On the efficiency front, I do wonder how much energy goes into making and fitting a new boiler... and how much gas you have to save to pay for it....Apologies if I seem to be slow responding - my posts have to be approved and even mods have to be "afk" sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Conventional flue ventilation high/low level in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock