Discuss Considering learning Plumbing after school any advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tubbs95

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so if this is meant to go in a different part of the forum or in an individual thread, sorry :p

Right, simple story - I'm in year 11, coming up to my exams, and I'm still undecided what I want to do next year despite the fact my school have said that I should be - told them where to go in the politest way possible.

Now, being a plumber interests me, but I have no idea about a thing, so it'd be teaching a complete novice. Looking at a few local college's near me, and they offer a ' Plumbing City & Guilds 6129 Technical Certificate Level 2', which is a 1 year course, which leads into the 2 year Level 3 course.

I was just wondering if this is a good way to get into plumbing? I did look for apprenticeships but there are none within 20 miles of me unfortunately.

Any other suggestions as to how the best way for a 16 year old to enter the proffesion? Thanks a lot in advance

its all about who you know in this game really, if one of your family was a plumber you'd probably get a start if not then you will struggle. Its still a good thing to get into always going to be a need for plumbers, heating engineers etc and now we've got new technology like solar, geothermal, heat source so it is constantly changing which is good keeps it interesting.

Keep trying to get an apprenticeship, look further than 20 miles. Or even put it off for a few years as it is hard the now and go to college and do different subjects see what you would like to do, with this recession no one really is taking anyone on your best bet is the likes of british gas they are recruiting the now

Last edited:
I'd try BG first, despite what some say about them their apprenticeships are top notch. Also try going to your local merchants and asking there. Leave your details on the notice board or with the bloke behind the counter and see what comes of it, you may not hear anything but its worth a try and you could end up with a job and a start. Also try your local college, they have alot of contacts. when I did my apprenticeship the firm I was doing it with went bump a few weeks before I started. So I went to my local firm and asked and they said NO, but I went to college anyway and asked them to help me and when they asked my local firm they said YES. If you do choose a career in this job you will soon find it not what you know its who you know!

Good luck in your search though, hope you find what you want to do.

Tom

Try british gas website they taking on apprentices at really good rates too'

Try british gas website they taking on apprentices at really good rates too'

very true, seen a few advertisements for them

just type british gas careers in on google and should come up, type post code in and you see whats in your area

does there being no apprenticeships within a 20 mile radious tell you something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Considering learning Plumbing after school any advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Back