Search the forum,

Discuss Cisterns continuously leaking into bowls (two slightly different scenarios) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Omz

OK so disclaimer – i'm a millennial who hates DIY – BUT I sincerely want to learn and acknowledge I need to get over the embarrassment of not knowing a lot.

The main thing is I don't want to be ripped off by plumbers so I need to figure this stuff out.

So... I have two push-button toilets both about 7 years old and they are facing similar but slightly different issues which result in the same thing: water slowly trickling into the bowl.

Both are dual flush siphon and bottom fill inlet valve.

Toilet A:

This one refills normally and stops refilling once the float level is reached. There is a constant trickle into the bowl makes me think the washer at the base of the siphon or perhaps the entire siphon has become compromised. Of course as the level in the cistern drops enough the inlet kicks in and tops it up but I suspect the inlet is absolutely fine. I recently changed the washer at the base of the siphon – does this mean the entire thing probably needs replacing?

20200528_123053 (1).jpg

Toilet B:

20200613_232143.jpg

The inlet valve keeps filling the cistern (from the top – even when the float should stop it) until it appears to be going back down through the overflow into the bowl. We also get a minor trickling into the bowl shortly after flushing but this increases after the cistern reaches its full level. What I am suspecting here is that the washer at the top of the inlet valve has probably been compromised so water keeps flowing out even when it shouldn't. Is this a fair assumption? Its a very flimsy and crappy inlet valve so I'm inclined to just replace it anyway.

Any advice on either of these toilets is really appreciated. I've just figured out how to disconnect the inlet valve so I'll probably give that a look first.

Cheers.

Dear Omz,

If you are lucky enough to be working at the moment, and don't enjoy and have time for plumbing, then surely it would be a good idea to find and make friends with a good professional.

Assume for Loo A you have had the tank off. I would probably replace all the internal components as they are cheap and your time is probably not. Check the tank has no defects e.g. where the sealing washer for the flush valve sits on the inside of the tank. Some people use sealant between tank and washer, BUT you will prob note the manufacturers tell you not too because if the tank is good, it's not required and may cause problems.

I'll leave advice on best replacement components to others here, because I'm an old traditionalist and like old fashioned simple reliable components. I've got three old type loos with Dudley turbo88 syphons, handle operated, and none ever failed. Flap in an 88 can be changed without taking tank off.

Modern push button tech may be cheap to buy but I don't think will last long. If you can figure out the spares and have the patience then fair enough.

After having remade your tank on the workbench, take it outside, rest on a couple of bits of wood, connect to a hose, and test it fills and flushes, and does not leak before you refit to the pan.

Use a new coupling kit, at least a new donut to attach it to the pan. Grease any pan screws.

I would also replace the tank wall screws before they rust away, and use a bit of grease on them.

Lastly I think the professionals earn all the money they charge, so if you don't enjoy it, give them a go, but do educate yourself as you say.

Loo B new valve.

Cheers,

Roy (a very amateur plumber)

Omz, what it sound like is correct:

Toilet A - is losing water somewhere, if you replaced the washer to the base of the flush valve (syphon), it may have twisted and loosened the bayonet cradle connection. However just check for a good seating as Roy has suggested, and any limescale on the rubber washer, grit, or other foreign matter.

Toilet B - yes it’s just not shutting off, so a new washer is your cheapest and quickest route. However if you want to replace it I like a fluid master valves, Torbeck and even Siamp (the same as your Toilet A) - just be careful with the some, as they sometimes require a backflow prevention device such as a double check valve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cisterns continuously leaking into bowls (two slightly different scenarios) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock