Discuss Checking a thermistor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backboiler

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi, I'm fairly inexperienced at fault finding but familiar with the operation of a multimeter. Will someone let me know the correct way to test a thermistor please? i.e doI test it while the appliance is on? Do I test for ohms or voltage?

Thanks

test on ohms but you need to know the temp the thermister is at to know the correct value, resistance should decrease as heat is applied to a ntc thermister

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. Do I test it with the appliance running and the wires connected to the thermistor?

Hi Backboiler :)

Thermistor works on sending different resistances to the circuit board which in tern interprets the resistance as temperature reading and adjusts the amount of heat supplied accordingly :)

I believe most thermistors are NTC (Negatively Temperature Coefficient) That is the colder the temp the higher the resistant!

So therefore the only beneficial test is resistance! If they are OTT then they'll never tell the PCB to reduce the gas supply and overheat, and likewise if they're over sensitive they'll shut the gas off prematurely :)

Thank you for the reply Diamondgas. Can the thermistor be tested in situ?

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. Do I test it with the appliance running and the wires connected to the thermistor?

always test resistance with power off, test from wire connectors at pcb end first with wires connected to the thermister, then test at the thermister with wires disconnected, this way your checking both the wires and thermister

Thank you for the reply Diamondgas. Can the thermistor be tested in situ?

Simple answer is 'YES' practical answers is 'it depends on there accessibility" :)

Always test the component (thermistor) disconnected, otherwise how can you prove you are not checking resistance through alternative avenues?

Power off and disconnect connectors. Better to start from cold. Boilers all have varying resistance readings at approx. temps.
In general you will be looking at a reading of 20-30 ohms at room temp depending on boiler. At full temp anything from 1-3 ohms.
The MI's sometimes give you the figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Checking a thermistor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock