Discuss Changing a stop tap with lead mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DomC

Advice please. I've had this request a few times but always dodged the job one way or another. Is there an easy way to change a stop tap that is attached to a lead mains? I have contemplated using the old nut & hoping it fits securely & water tight on the new stop tap.

Any advice to get me over this phobia (no idea if thats how you spell that) !

Thank you :ciappa:

hi domc welcome to the forums is it lead both sides of the stop tap or incoming only? i would use a leadloc short length of copper then the new stop tap. if it is lead both sides just use a leadloc both sides.

You are right to ask us and all the above is spot on advice by experienced fitters

My advice is ........you will most probably need to turn off the supply to the property

Get the right mains iron with the appropriate end for your area - open up the flap and have a look
you maybe lucky if is on a water meter just get the little plastic thing - if not as above.

Sometimes the turn off is full of sand clay muck etc - just grab it all out with your hand
and to turn off with the iron go a tiny bit anti clock then go clockwise carefully - if its stiff then drop some chainsaw oil onto it and go back next day

let us know how you get on Centralheatking

Can you split the valve from the body and clean/rewasher/and regrease etc (as long as the seating is good)
If not the stop tap is probably connected to a short bit of copper either side, which in turn is soldered (wiped joint) in to the lead, if the copper is 1/2" (15mm) then just remove old stop tap cut off olive and old nut and simply fit new tap
Just don't move the lead pipe around too much, it gets brittle with age

Last edited:
If the old one ain't leaking then fit a new stop tap on the copper above and leave it alone. Other wise a leadloc or transit coupling.

Common sense from a good adviser - AW is really good at isolating the pertinent issuesCHKing
If the old one ain't leaking then fit a new stop tap on the copper above and leave it alone. Other wise a leadloc or transit coupling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing a stop tap with lead mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back