Discuss CH and HW problems, need some advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chapelle

Hi folks,

I've moved in very recently to a large Victorian house. It has 5 bedrooms (1 downstairs), 2 ensuites (1 with an electric shower), a bathroom, large kitchen diner, utility room, 2 reception rooms, and 9ft ceilings plus a large hall and landing.

The owner had the central heating and hot water done recently (about a year ago or very nearly) but it seems to be a bit off. The system is a 300 litre Ariston Primo unvented cylinder with a Vaillant Ecotec 637 system boiler and 23 radiators with a thermostat in the hall and a BossTherm BUP2 timer.

Most of the radiators don't heat up and the hot water is only warm on all taps in the house (it's nice enough to shower with but not scalding). The other issue is that there is no zoning and on a house of this size that's going to be really bad.

Regarding the rads, I'm guessing they need bleeding as the CH has barely had any usage or could it be that they need a pump and the boiler alone is inadequate? Is bleeding a radiator on a system like this a diy job or should I get a plumber in (I don't want to mess anything up like pressure or whatever, more than it already is)?

With the hot water I'm not sure what to check. The boiler and cylinder are in the loft and it's not practical for me to get up there so I'll be relying on a mate when he's free. What should I get him to check for?

As for zoning, can that be added retrospectively without ripping stuff up or is the only alternative CMZone type valves/motors?

Thank you.

My advise would be to find local respected plumbing & heating company to survey the situation and produce a report on there findings. A few quid spent now on what you have inherited may turn into a good investment.

Hi, been a bit busy with other things but recently had time to get a quote from a heating engineer. Is £250 a normal price? I'm in the midlands and that seems like quite a hefty spend.

Hi, been a bit busy with other things but recently had time to get a quote from a heating engineer. Is £250 a normal price? I'm in the midlands and that seems like quite a hefty spend.

£250 for what?????

£250 is a normal price depending on what he is doing or it could be extortionate! what is he doing?

He said he'd do a thorough check of the system but didn't specify any details on what that will involve. I did ask for details in my first (and only) correspondance but as it was via email it must have been overlooked. I'll ask for further details.

If quoting to fix a specific problem then we would not charge, but for a general (written) report/survey then we would charge for our time.
£250 does sound quite pricey for a report, but it does depend on what's required and also the level of detail.

Chapelle I would say for £250 on a report that is at least 5 hours work and sounds well over the top.

Get another opinion. Where about in the Midlands are you? A member on here may be able to help.

Chapelle I would say for £250 on a report that is at least 5 hours work and sounds well over the top.

Get another opinion. Where about in the Midlands are you? A member on here may be able to help.

I agree what's the point in a report be cheaper in long run to get one person in to see what's the problem and fix at same time

Thanks for the advice, I'll skip the report and get it fixed hopefully. I did manage to find details of the company who originally did the installation of the ch and hw and have spoken to the guy who worked on the house who thankfully sounds like a decent fella.

The rads which I'm having most trouble with are ones which on the owner's insistance were supplied a flow using 15mm pipe. These are fairly demanding radiators too, maybe 26,000 btu in total (5 rads). Unbelievably the owner was happy to mess with trvs to increase flow to radiators as he needed them. Now I'm going to have to get that fixed which is going to be messy I'm sure. Would a pump make the slightest difference in fixing this problem or does it need repiping?

It will need re-piping mate. As a rule of thumb, a 15mm pipe will supply a maximum of three medium sized radiators. 5 large radiators will require larger pipework for sure.

The easiest way to find out without calculating it all would be to remove all of the TRV heads and do a decent balance using the locksheilds.
Its time consuming but normally worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CH and HW problems, need some advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back