Discuss Ceramic Syphon. Replace with plastic one? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
First one I've seen. 50's/60's ceramic syphon on ideal standard toilet with very large cistern.

There's room for a normal plastic syphon but will it work as well and will it have a normal 1½" outlet?

I know I could make a new diaphragm but I'd like a plan B.

Photo1009.jpg

I'd go for the diaphram.

If this doesn't work then I'd take the part down to the merchants and be ready for many large intakes of breath and scratching of chins and heads ...

Not as rare as you'd think in certain parts. Whip it out and put in a new diaphragm. These things were built to last, and designed to be repaired. Will still be going for years to come.

B-b-b-ut........do you think a standard plastic syphon would fit/work? I demand a plan B when plan A features an unfamiliar object!

Thanks for that link Mr Dontknowitall you will have to change your name to knowitall soon! ;)

to replace you will have to use a special type of dudley syphon and have a separate air admittance valve that pushes inside it. you will know if the pan has a double syphon trap

From the sounds of it there's a very good chance the only thing would be to try and make a replacement diaphragm.

I have replaced one once with a push button valve with 2" bottom as the hole was larger than most plastic syphons (1.5")

The buttons fit where the handle normally goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ceramic Syphon. Replace with plastic one? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock