Discuss Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, and have know to be wrong, that under the old regs, if you were classed as competent you can service an appliance as long as there is no financial gain, (wage), but I think gas safe shut the loop hole saying, if you touch any gas appliance, your own or not and your not registered, it against the law.
It was changed to stop landlords blowing up students, I cannot quote bylaw or case histories, but I'm sure it true.

Best thing to do mate, is leave it alone, depending on what boiler it is, rsf, balanced flue, HE, open flued etc, depends on the checks you need to do, if it's a modern HE, YOU need a flue gas analyser, get it done safely for the sake of £50 or so.
But don't listen to me, I have saved about 20 peoples life's in my 31years in the trade, due to poorly or not serviced correctly appliances. Jon

but I think gas safe shut the loop hole saying, if you touch any gas appliance, your own or not and your not registered

Gas Safe, no matter how the sales rep comes across, do not make the rules. They are made by others.

I agree with you tamz too many people think that Gas Safe or Corgi are the law.

When we were all Corgi registered, I had no end of arguments with people that say you "had" to be Corgi registered to work on a gas appliance when in fact you had to show competence and if you had passed ACS you were deemed as competent.

Its just years of clever advertising by Corgi.
For instance has anyone ever been asked to see their ACS card??

Of course not. Joe public have never even heard of ACS.

In what other trade do you have to qualify and then pay to register with someone else to be able to work?

So in summary, yes you can service your own boiler but...there's not a single person on this forum who'd want to be in your shoes should things go bandy!!

Well even i have never serviced my own boiler.............ever............can't be rsed. If it coughs i will get the boy to fit a new one :lol:

Well even i have never serviced my own boiler.............ever............can't be rsed. If it coughs i will get the boy to fit a new one :lol:

I still have a 15 year old GW swiftflow in my house.
I must have changed everything inside of it and every time I say thats it Im fitting a new one.

Still not got around to it.
You know what they say "never buy a house from a builder" its certainly true in my case, ffs I have condemned better.

Just too much like a bus-mans holiday when you get home.

stuck a probe in mine once just to see what the reading was and it was sweet as, one 'non-intrusive' service completed!

Did powerflush my system a couple of weeks ago though just to see what came out, pretty clean as it happens...

Just too much like a bus-mans holiday when you get home.[/QUOTE]

...you should see my bathroom...second thoughts best not:D

I don't really care. The hoover is her job. More chance of winning the lottery.

Just checked about doing your own gas work, 1998 regs, in a nutshell, if your doing it for no reward and are deemed competent, you can do what you like. great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually can't believe this is a serious thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back