Discuss British Gas query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
An elderly relative contacted me today concerning some work she had carried out by BG, she's been under their care for years without complaint as it gives her piece of mind. Anyhow her combi packed up recently and BG diagnosed that she needed a Powerflush and MagnaClean. Apparently the powerflush has been carried out and the system is working but BG couldn't install the Magnaclean because apparently there was "no room". The nephew sent me some picks and I said I'd ask those who'll definitely know, clearly there's no magnaclean but there is plenty of physical room and my feeling is (perhaps unfairly) the BG engineer was on his own and couldn't be arsed reworking the pipework.

Am I being unreasonable expecting the work to be done irrespective of how difficult it maybe and should I complain on her behalf and call them back to get the work completed rather than just a refund for the work that wasn't? Thanks for any advice.

DSCF0526.jpg DSCF0525.jpg

Get a refund. Use a local plumber to fit one. Piece of mind is important to an elderly lady. Don't tell her she could have been power flushed for half the price, just keep eye on BG in future.

yes chase and pester the living day lights out of them

Thanks for everybody's interest but just to recap, BG have charged my elderly aunt for a powerflush and the fitting of a magnaclean (total = £850) the later hasn't been done because of the reason given (no room) from the notes left by the attending BG engineer. I have no idea what was wrong with the boiler initially to warrant a powerflush, could have been legit probably not given their history but I can't prove anything underhand and the system is now working. What she doesn't have is the magnaclean that has been paid for, do I recommend they chase BG to do the work or a partial refund?

Phone bg and ask for a price for fitting a magnaclean. Then write and say you want 850 minus price given as a refund.

Thanks guys, you've covered all the bases.

If it were my money I'd harass the XXXXXXXX til they were sick but it isn't and joni's view hit home as the most sympathetic and least stressful to my aunt even if that will also unfortunately apply to BG.

What I will do (if she wants) is post here looking for an engineer to do the work.

Fifty quid for two hours work right? ;) ATB.

Last edited:
I used to do contract work for bg install boiler. The time allocated for a power flush was 2hr 40min. A complete boiler swap including power flush, minor building works, in under 11hrs.
So how clean will the system be ?
Seriously????? We spend most of not all day on site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock