Currently reading:
Boiler Heat Exchanger busted

Discuss Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys,

Quick question. Had 2 new rads fitted (system was drained) but I didn't test the hot water or heating after he fitted the rads. 4-5 days later I noticed there was no hot water (wasn't in the house) and I kept hearing clanging sounds after the boiler has tried to ignite then shutdown. Only rad that got hot when heating was turned on is one above boiler, rad in the room next to it got a bit hot when i turned the first one off but not fully hot. Plumber came round and said f&e tank was contaminated and when the system got drained, sludge may have gone into the system and caused the heat exchanger in the boiler to overheat. He cut the boiler off from the gas and just labeled it not usable.

So I have a couple of options. I was gonna go with buying a combi boiler that will require the system be drained and flushed anyway, and he said the current boiler is beyond repair because the heat exchanger is expensive.

I saw on ebay a refurb for £55, and I'm thinking, can we not just power flush the system, then install the new heat exchanger, make sure the f&e tank has no gunk, and all good? Or is this a bad idea? This is a vented system btw. Picture of boiler is attached (worcester bosch greenstar 24 ri)

IMG-20190610-WA0004.jpeg

I’m still not convinced there’s sludge. Nothing has proved it other than a dirty loft tank

That is cheap for them. So let me get this straight they came out replaced the radiators for you? Stirred up a load of muck in the system and then cut you off saying the boiler is unsafe. I would be more inclined to think it’s an airlock if some of the radiators are getting some warmth
Pimlico doing an hour for £90
wow..Charlie and Scott Mullins are losing their touch. Normally .inside m25 £125.00 plus vat must have been a quiet day
maybe they were at the racing again ...respect they built a brand and in london it works for some. I understand Pimlico works on demand and price , they need so much work per day to satisfy the vans, if its hot...full price but quiet times there is a deal to be made..they are all
gsr and paying central london charges and traffic time so why not
centralheatking

Last edited:
Neither am I Riley. Only thing I realised, when I went onto the second rad it took a while to heat up even tho one side was hot and the top was hot and the bottom was tepid, but after an hour or so it got there eventually so... Idk...

And everyone will continue to not know until a water quality test is done so recommend this to determine next course of action and only then can you make an informed decision on what path is best to take. Both financially and logically.

Depends on definition on plumber.

If they're are well versed with heating systems and regularly maintaing them then yes. If they are just ones who repair leaks and change rads then they may not even know what you're asking. But if you've got your "gas dude" (don't remember reading relation so purely using only term I could remember you saying lol) then they should be able to do one for you.

He's coming round in the next 10 minutes. He used to work for BG and did the original plumbing for this place so... I'll wag my finger and question lol

Make sure he’s gas safe first

Dw?

Well if he was looking to cap it off then he would just call the emergency gas people I would think if she won’t sign

Well you can clearly see the heat ex has rippled so either the system is badly sludged up or your system pump is running slow/seized and the system was getting warm from gravity circulation. I wonder, did the installer actually wire the pump into the boiler to handle the overrun and that’s whats goosed the hex

Out of interest, have you got his warning notice. Love to read what it says

That equipitential bonding is illegal for a start its after a tee

Wrong

Soldered tee is fine

Compression is ncs

Nothing wrong as it’s a sparkys remit

Reply to Boiler Heat Exchanger busted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock