Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler front cover seals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Burger

So had a bit of a discussion today regarding the above. We mainly work on Vaillant Ecotec pro’s, some pluses and ecomax’s. I know the front cover seal is ok if it has cracks and finger indents. (An advisory as per Vaillant technical). I also know it’s the main perimeter that forms the seal.

I’m after what you guys would class it as if that perimeter seal is damaged and doesn’t create a seal? For me it’s AR, but I could be wrong as one engineer pointed out it’s a room sealed appliance and there’s nothing in the gas regs/usp about it. He also mentioned it would just draw extra air. However I mentioned (as per Vaillant technical) it’s then taking the air from the room, which if it were new build not much ventilation?

Also as an aside (can’t recall if I’ve asked this): I’ve also been told that removing the cover from these boilers is like an mot, if you change a bulb you wouldn’t re-mot, therefore I don’t need to gas rate etc (26.9). - any thoughts?

Also as an aside (can’t recall if I’ve asked this): I’ve also been told that removing the cover from these boilers is like an mot, if you change a bulb you wouldn’t re-mot, therefore I don’t need to gas rate etc (26.9). - any thoughts?

I have not looked at 26.9 properly for some time, but I am pretty sure that you have been misinformed. It says something along the lines of "if you attend to", then bla bla. I have always taken the wording to mean that even if you are there for a minor event (except purge and relight), then 26.9 is in play. The MOT and light bulb reference is completely irrelevant. The MOT is strictly one pass per annum, 26.9 is every visit.

Anyway, if you change the engine, gearbox, 4 tyres and BOTH headlamp bulbs - you still don't re-MOT !

I have not looked at 26.9 properly for some time, but I am pretty sure that you have been misinformed. It says something along the lines of "if you attend to", then bla bla. I have always taken the wording to mean that even if you are there for a minor event (except purge and relight), then 26.9 is in play. The MOT and light bulb reference is completely irrelevant. The MOT is strictly one pass per annum, 26.9 is every visit.

Anyway, if you change the engine, gearbox, 4 tyres and BOTH headlamp bulbs - you still don't re-MOT !

Thanks, I thought as much and have been doing since I re-read 26.9. Like you said unless it’s a purge and relight, or replacing mechanical time clock to front, or just a VRA.

Re my previous post, the following does not imply that minor things like removing cases is not "work", IMO. (Why would you be removing the case if not working on the appliance?)

(9) Where a person performs work on a gas appliance he shall immediately thereafter examine— (a) the effectiveness of any flue; (b) the supply of combustion air; (c) its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both; (d) its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning, and forthwith take all reasonable practicable steps to notify any defect to the responsible person and, where different, the owner of the premises in which the appliance is situated or, where neither is reasonably practicable, in the case of an appliance supplied with liquefied petroleum gas, the supplier of gas to the appliance, or, in any other case, the transporter. (10) Paragraph (9) shall not apply in respect of— (a) the direct disconnection of the gas supply of a gas appliance; or (b) the purging of gas or air from an appliance or its associated pipework or fittingsin any case where that purging does not adversely affect the safety of that appliance, pipe or fitting

Reply to Boiler front cover seals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock