Currently reading:
Boiler blow off into soil stack

Discuss Boiler blow off into soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Whats the procedure for this? After the tundish do you treat it like unvented with 300mm on d2 after the tundish? Hepvo into stack.

Last edited:
it should not really be run into a stack tbh. I dont a boiler blow off is covered by g3 but if you run them as you would an unvented discharge you should be covered tbh. I guess the boiler manufacturer should be spoken to, to see if they allow it.

if you read the hepvo valve instructions it says not suitable for boiler blow offs :(

Last edited:
it should not really be run into a stack tbh. I dont a boiler blow off is covered by g3 but if you run them as you would an unvented discharge you should be covered tbh. I guess the boiler manufacturer should be spoken to, to see if they allow it.

if you read the hepvo valve instructions it says not suitable for boiler blow offs :(

Those flats again!

So what's the difference between a boiler blow off and an unvented discharge with the hepvo?

So what's the difference between a boiler blow off and an unvented discharge with the hepvo?
For starters read MI's, consult manufacturer, British standards etc.
Metalic pipe terminating in Safe, visible position, outside is bones of it. Unless manufacturer gives express permission otherwise!

Went to WB training day and this exact question came up. Someone in office came down after lunch to say they were trying to get regs amended so they could put in MI that into stack was acceptable as it is with G3. Also remember reading something similar in GSR mag before. Went to WB about 18 months ago tho, nothing as yet.

Adam, just read hepvo instructions but dosen't say anything about boiler blow off. Theres an example of unvented use and condensate but no mention of boiler blow off.

Surely our judgement as competent engineers would suggest reasonably, that a boiler prv is far too similar to an unvented relief and as such can be considered perfectly fine? Surely this is a better method than any other way or the ONLY practical way? One thing I will say about the soil pipe is that you will need something to prevent the smell coming out of the tundish. Make yourself a u trap from which ever pipe you use, whether it's copper or plastic.

Surely our judgement as competent engineers would suggest reasonably, that a boiler prv is far too similar to an unvented relief and as such can be considered perfectly fine? Surely this is a better method than any other way or the ONLY practical way? One thing I will say about the soil pipe is that you will need something to prevent the smell coming out of the tundish. Make yourself a u trap from which ever pipe you use, whether it's copper or plastic.

Thats where the hepvo valve comes in

Did you read a current/ recent valves instructions? I know me and mr Naylor read it on some valves we fitted on some flats early this year. Maybe they have changed the instructions?

We we used them anyways.

Pressure relief termination must be in a safe visible location.

G3; D2 can now be piped in plastic but must be able to withstand 110deg c, it can also terminate into soil stack but stack must be constructed of materials proven to withstand 99deg c.

I keep seeing these run in new builds in plastic and every time I ask what temp the plastic pipe is rated to, surprise surprise nobody can tell me.

As far as ch prvs and boiler prvs go it's down to manufacturers instructions. If in doubt give them a bell

G3; D2 can now be piped in plastic but must be able to withstand 110deg c, it can also terminate into soil stack but stack must be constructed of materials proven to withstand 99deg c.

I keep seeing these run in new builds in plastic and every time I ask what temp the plastic pipe is rated to, surprise surprise nobody can tell me.

As far as ch prvs and boiler prvs go it's down to manufacturers instructions. If in doubt give them a bell

Dosen't pushfit withstand that temp. Can't use solvent weld.

If you look closely at the pipework in WB training centre in Essex (what's that place called again?), you will find one or two of the boiler PRV piped using a tundish. I am not sure where it terminates.

All I know is, next week I am fitting two boilers and the PRV's discharge will go through a Tundish and to the Sink waste pipe. I doubt I will bother to phone the Boiler Manufacturer. One of the boiler is located on wall that has a Nursery directly opposite. Kids and parents always present there, so I am not even considering discharging it out there.
Other boiler is on wall next to area used by people with learning disability. So I will avoid terminating out there as well.
I will like some jobsworth to get back to me in a year's time and complain that they have gone to service a boiler and found that I ''fecrked'' the PRV discharge?

There was a grey pushfit fit for purpose but can't remember the bs number.

What you should really do is get the waste pipe manufacturers data sheet which should state temp ratings. Poly pipe push fit is ok last time I checked. You should also label the pipe as per g3.

remember you need to run the was as a separate pipe with nowt else connected to it to meet g3.

What you should really do is get the waste pipe manufacturers data sheet which should state temp ratings. Poly pipe push fit is ok last time I checked. You should also label the pipe as per g3.

remember you need to run the was as a separate pipe with nowt else connected to it to meet g3.

We have soldered a tee before the tundish on an unvented fitted in the loft from the heating expansion vessell prv.

should ideally be seperate discharges or atleast an increase in size of both the d1 and d2 pipework but it sounds closer to the regs then most of the rest of the work done there LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler blow off into soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock