Discuss Best way to fix a rad to a tiled plasterboard wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran197

Gas Engineer
I go to loads of radiators at work that have fallen off the wall due to the installing thinking it is ok to install a 1100 x 500 double panel radiator with 2 plasterboard fixings per bracket.

Anyway, last night I went to my fiance's aunty's house because the radiator was leaking. The rad has a small hole in the bottom, so I will need to fit a new one. But the old one just has a 2" 10 and a brown plug in the plaster board, which I don't really want to do. But the wall is tiled, so it is going to be difficult to use expansion screws and red heads are not going to work either. I am thinking I'm going to have to drill out the tile to the size of the head of the expansion fittings.

What are your thoughts/experiences/suggestions?

I always get a good fixing to tiles with brown plugs and 2" 10's.

If you are worried about getting a good fixing silicone the back of the bracket. Once it sets it will never come off

Just been looking at those Fischer plasterboard fixings, they look like they might do the job. The other ones are the ones I would normally use, but the problem is that the tiles won't allow the part showing to fix in the plasterboard. So I need something to fit in the wall.

I did'nt *** it out, for some reason its done automatically when you post a link. The hollow wall anchors can be used on tiled walls but you need to snip off the two pointy bits that would normally dig into the plasterboard and they're best put in with the special tool http://www.*************/p/rawlplug-setting-tool/92462 i think you know what to do now.:smile5:

Ha ha, ye cheers Ian. A guy I work with has got one of the puller things. Might be worth me investing in one I suppose as turning the screw heads is a bit of a ball ache! Lol! I did fancy giving those plugs a go, not used them before and the reviews of them seem quite good. But they are nearly £7 and I will only use about 8! Lol!

Do you buy a lot of stuff from screfix Ian? I am thinking of getting the rad from there too, £28. Do they put the height or width measurement first?

Last edited:
it's probably worth buying yourself a box of em, i always do as its not just rads they come in handy for. I tend to shop around for my stuff and sometimes Screwfix fits the bill. Yes i've had rads from them but will generally collect them from the local depot which is only 15 mins away, had too many bad experiences with damaged mail order rads.

liddl did a complete box of various daisy bolts and fixing tool for £15 a few weeks ago.
knew i should have bought one!!!.
gripfill the bracket to the wall then any fixing will do.imo.

Been and got one of the setting tools tonight, so will use what I have already got and try it. If it doesn't work I will bite the bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best way to fix a rad to a tiled plasterboard wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock