Search the forum,

Discuss Bath/Shower diverter valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to go change a diverter valve on Thursday. What was ordered was a single inlet/2 outlet valve. What was in there already was a 2 inlet/2 outlet valve non thermostatic (below).

533fcf847034ddf09a15e0e89fc6c73b.jpg

I advised the wrong part was ordered and to order the correct valve.

My question is this: could I have modified the pipework to fit the new valve? (Below)

3bc1f11f321e16b5434d4ddac0b2fd34.jpg

For example put a check valve on the cold and hot supplies and teed them to a single pipe? I know valves shouldn't be fitted where you can't gain access so I figure I did the right thing.

But I'm questioning myself now.

Looks
I've you have a mixer with a hot & cold and two outlets. You can remove the cap at the top.
Is it thermostatic?

Agree with Chalked, the side inlets should be your hot and cold and the top and bottom should be the outlets
The brass nut/cap should be able to be removed giving you your 2nd outlet
What are the outlets feeding,

Agree with Chalked, the side inlets should be your hot and cold and the top and bottom should be the outlets
The brass nut/cap should be able to be removed giving you your 2nd outlet
What are the outlets feeding,
Im getting a little confused as to what valve we are talking about now lol

I'm talking about the new valve now.. Two side outlets are the pre mixed outlets, the bottom is the pre mixed inlet, the top is mixing the two side outlets at a lower flow rate.

The old valve: two sides are hot (left) and cold and the two bottom are the two outlets. Not sure what the top cap outlet does but I assume its a third outlet.

Outlets are feeding a handheld shower and a bath.

Last edited:
Ah! I see. In that case it won't work.
You would need an additional mixer before the new valve. Or a different new mixer, with two outlets.

Ah! I see. In that case it won't work.
You would need an additional mixer before the new valve. Or a different new mixer, with two outlets.
That's what I thought. But I started to over think it and confuser myself haha

So I'm being sent back to tee the hot and cold supply together into a single supply. No check valves. Surely that's against regs, no?

Won't work.
What is heating the water. How will it be able to give a temperature ? Plus like you say, cold and hot can mix and will cause problems elsewhere.

Won't work.
What is heating the water. How will it be able to give a temperature ? Plus like you say, cold and hot can mix and will cause problems elsewhere.
I'm just gonna do as I'm told to do.. I would put a check valve to be safe and make the valve accessible by siliconing the tile instead of adhesive and grout. But that's me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath/Shower diverter valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock