Search the forum,

Discuss Alex the Joiner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamM

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Alex the joiner fits a gas cooker causes £500000 worth of damage and walks free with 300 hours community service.
Where is the deterrent? These people had to endure painful burns and skin graft treatment. How many lives could have been lost?
Would the sheriff been so lenient if it was a relatives home that was destroyed?
Gas fitter Alex Irvine was given 300 hours community service - Daily Record

makes ye wonder why we pay all this money out to gas safe and acs stuff and be so peticular in jobs when a bloke does this and get bugger all done to him ye get more for workin on the side or not paying a bill and going to court

Ridiculous I wonder what would happen to a gas safe engineer that did wrong, much worse I expect. Gas safe is a joke when it comes to illegals.

Ridiculous I wonder what would happen to a gas safe engineer that did wrong, much worse I expect. Gas safe is a joke when it comes to illegals.

A gas engineer would have received a larger fine as he / she should have known better.

I'm pretty sure it's not gas safe who decide punishments and fines, that will be down to the courts to decide. All fade safe do is collate the evidence I believe.

I'm pretty sure it's not gas safe who decide punishments and fines, that will be down to the courts to decide. All fade safe do is collate the evidence I believe.

HSE take the Prosecution to court.
The Court, Magistrates or Judge, decide the penalty

Last edited:
I would like to see this flexible pipe that split after just 18 days, and what caused it to split ! could this be a manufactur's fault ?? if so this could have happend to anyone of us. !!

looks like he got off lightly, maybe he had a 'good' lawyer

out of curiousity, if his lawyer claims that the house owners knew that he was not gas safe registered, but in order to save a bit of money, still allowed him to fit the cooker, would that make him less liable ?

I would like to see this flexible pipe that split after just 18 days, and what caused it to split ! could this be a manufactur's fault ?? if so this could have happend to anyone of us. !!
Read more in another paper. It appears the flexi was not hanging in a relaxed 'U' form and the undue stress on the hose resulted in it splitting.
Open & shut case. Was not installed properly!

I've seen plenty of cooker tubes not hanging correctly but I've never seen one split.
Doesn't make any difference though, the guy should have been banged up IMO.

Probably his 300 hours community service is installing gas fires for free.

From Construction Enquirer;

After removing the kitchen unit and worktop, Irvine cut a copper pipe to remove an old gas hob, cleaned the end of the cut piece and attached a flexible, rubber hose.

The other end of the hose was attached to the new cooker before it was pushed back against the wall.

An HSE investigation found the hose was trapped between the cooker, the floor and side unit so it could become kinked when it was pushed against the wall.

Tests revealed that the hose had split at a middle point in the bend of the hose where it had been trapped, on both the inner steel winding and the outer rubber sheath coating. This would have allowed unburnt gas to enter the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alex the Joiner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock